Can anyone help me install flash player 10 onto my acer one

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Clara77, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Clara77

Clara77

Been trying to install flash player for use on facebook and ITV player go through the installation process but still can't use it on facebook etc not sure where i'm going wrong. I am using a acer aspire one with Linpus Lite. Any help greatly appreciated especially step by step as not very clued up! Many thanks :?

Clara77, Oct 18, 2009
  2. Clara77

cabunny

I am having the same problem and would be very grateful for any simple to follow instructions to instal an update of flash player on my linux acer one.

any advice? :?

thank you
    cabunny

cabunny, Nov 8, 2009
  3. Clara77

susan.c

Me too. I was told I need Flash player 10 for ebaums world videos and after trying to install it a couple of times I now just have audio!

susan.c, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Clara77

3ld468

Hello All,
    Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thanky ... %28.rpm%29 to download the latest version to your disk.
    Then run Terminal by pressing Alt-F2, typing "terminal" (without the quotes) in the text box and clicking "Run".
    In the terminal window type in the following code if you downloaded the file to the default folder on the disk drive:-
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    then
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh flash-plugin-10.0.32.18-release.i386.rpm
    Please note that "10.0.32.18" is the version number on the day that this note was posted. Make sure your numbers match those in the name of the file you downloaded.
    If that does not work you might have a storage expansion card fitted and the file may be in "mnt/home/Downloads". If so, use
    Code:
    cd /mnt/home/Downloads
    instead.
    Restart your browser if it is running and things should work. I have just used this proceedure to update my system and the iPlayer and The Daily Show played as well as they ever have:)
    Cheers,
    Mike

3ld468, Nov 11, 2009
  5. Clara77

crunchiejoe

what should i do as my daughter acer aspire one does not have the option for a cd drive, she had it without

crunchiejoe, Feb 16, 2010
  6. Clara77

RockDoctor

No need for a CD drive. What 3ld468 meant by "download to your disk" is download to your system's hard drive or solid state drive (depending, obviously, on which it has)

RockDoctor, Feb 17, 2010
  7. Clara77

Darryl

To clarify..
    Use the "cd" command to navigate from one directory to the next. For example, you could enter "cd business" to navigate to your "business" directory. You could also use the cd command to move up in a directory chain. For example if you wanted to get from the "usr/games/chess" directory to just the "usr/games" directory, you would type "cd .." which is the shortcut for moving up one directory level.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2064950_navigate-directories-linux.html

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commands.htm

Darryl, Feb 17, 2010
  8. Clara77

assessor

hi managed to download the flashplayer but how do you get to the CODE: SELECT ALL page? alls i get is the local host line in the terminal. can someone please put me right on what i am doing wrong.
    many thanks
    john

assessor, Feb 28, 2010
  9. Clara77

Darryl

click on the "select all" words and this will highlight the text that you need to put into the terminal..its simply a way that makes it easy for noobs to copy lines of code without making typing errors...there is no CODE:SELECT ALL page.. after highlighting you can use ctrl+c to copy the text then in the terminal hit ctrl+shift+v to copy it in....
    ADMIN: ANOTHER SMILIE IS NEEDED.....

Darryl, Mar 1, 2010
  10. Clara77

assessor

hi darryl
    thanks for the help, still no luck, i am complete novice at this. I press run terminal and this is the line i get
    [user@localhost ~]$
    there is nothing else. can you please talk me through it as if you was teaching a 7 year old!! i am that bad on linux!!
    many thanks again,
    john

assessor, Mar 1, 2010
  11. Clara77

assessor

little update,
    just had another go, my code was little different for the flash player so had to input by hand. hit enter and a page full of jargon and codes come up. Is that what you would expect to see? How also do i check to see what flas h player i have running?
    Many thanks once more.
    cheers, john

assessor, Mar 1, 2010
  12. Clara77

Darryl

Darryl, Mar 1, 2010
  13. Clara77

assessor

cheers darryl,
    success then!!! many thanks
    john

assessor, Mar 1, 2010
  14. Clara77

dreamlander

Hi there,I wonder if someone can help me? I followed the instructions posted by 3ld468,thanks by the way! My download was in Desktop.I'm not sure of the upper/lower case spelling of desktop in Terminal so I copy pasted it to downloads and did the rest as written.I updated the version numbers to match the download I have '-'s and '.'s all accounted for and pressed Enter.The little black cursor just popped one space down and nothing else happened.I left it for about 15 minutes but nothing has happened.I have checked with Adobe and the current version I have is 9.0.124.0. I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on what is wrong,or more likely,what I am doing wrong! :)

Dreamlander

dreamlander, Mar 3, 2010
  15. Clara77

Neva

Thank you. I managed to upgrade the Flash 9 player on my Aspire One to Flash 10 by downloading the latest flash installer RPM from the mentioned link.

Took a shortcut in installing though, I just double-clicked the downloaded file in Firefox's downloads list, entered my root password and let the install complete (accepted one dialog mentioning about an unsigned packet).

I know my root password because I've changed it. It can be done by going into the terminal with Alt+F2 and entering sudo passwd

Neva, Apr 18, 2010
  16. Clara77

Raaa

rightt idid what you lot said but then it says no such file or directory.

Raaa, May 11, 2010
  17. Clara77

mikeatinto

Re: Can anyone help me install flash player 10 onto my acer

Hi all, I have been having the same problem and managed to follow the instructions given, having updated to reflect that it's version 11 of Flash Player I'm trying to install.
    However, I just get (yet another) error message as follows;
    error: open of flash-plugin-11.1.102.55-release.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory
    Is there some kind person who can assist with this - or do I continue to tear my hair out? I'm sure I'm very close to the solution......
    thanks in advance
    Mike

mikeatinto, Dec 24, 2011
  18. Clara77

RockDoctor

Probably means the rpm file wasn't downloaded to the directory in which the installer expected to find it

RockDoctor, Dec 24, 2011
  19. Clara77

mikeatinto

I wonder if it's because it's actually a compressed / zipped file? Any thoughts?

mikeatinto, Dec 24, 2011
  20. Clara77

RockDoctor

rpm files are compressed, but if you actually downloaded the .rpm file, and not the .tar.gz file, the installer should work with it properly. Are you sure you downloaded the rpm file and not one of the others?

RockDoctor, Dec 24, 2011
Ask a Question