C:\I386 - what is it used for - can I delete it?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by starbright, Nov 18, 2008.

1. starbright

starbright

It seems that this path contains some install stuff. Can I delete it without missing it later one?
    What is it useful for?

starbright, Nov 18, 2008
  2. starbright

Guest Guest

I asked this a while back and I was curious but I got no response. But it looks like the setup files for Win XP. To bad they didnt leave to Setup progarm. If they did you could make a cd for xp. But I decide to leave it incase It is useful unless I run out of room

Guest, Nov 18, 2008
  3. starbright

GvidoR

This directory is used in Windows XP CD's. It contains installation files but I don't think it is needed on the hard drive. If I were you, I would delete that folder!

GvidoR, Nov 18, 2008
  4. starbright

melhiore

True.

If you're not sure just copy this folder to any PenDrive and have a backup copy...

melhiore, Nov 18, 2008
  5. starbright

scottw22

Keeping the i386 folder is handy when you bump into install processes that ask you to insert the Windows CD as this is what they are typically looking for. Though it can be useful at certain times it is by no means necessary to keep a copy of this folder on your hard drive. Deleting it should not be a problem is space is an issue for you but the last user's suggestion to hang onto a copy on some other media is a good idea.

scottw22, Nov 19, 2008
  6. starbright

MR650

NO

Among other things it is useful for installing the XP recovery console: C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons . Google that or see more here: http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto

So basically, you want to keep it. The i386 folder may look strange because it doesn't always 'live' in the same place on different systems. This is probably covered in the 'steps to.....XP' thread in this forum. If you don't know what it is, don't delete it.

MR650, Nov 21, 2008
  7. starbright

Guest Guest

I believe if you copied that folder to a bootable cd/flash drive you could us it to re-install win xp. you might have to set up the cd/flash drive to boot up to a dos shell but then you could run winnt.exe from the i386 folder to install, kind of a restore cd/flash drive. I will experiment since I didnt get a restore cd with my acer :)

Guest, Nov 22, 2008
  8. starbright

Guest Guest

I used the instructions for a recovery usb flash drive:

http://sincitylife.net/default.aspx

and changed the winxp install file source to the c:\ drive on the inspire instead of cd drive and was able to create a recovery flash disk so that is a good use for that i386 folder. Technically I only ran the 1st part of the windows setup (didnt need to install) up to where ask to repair or new install but it looks ok. I will leave my i386 folder just incase unless I run out of room then I will back it up some where before I delete.

Guest, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question