buying new laptop focus on processor/ghz or upgrade ssd/ram

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by soumik, Jun 15, 2016.

1. soumik

soumik

Hello guys
    I need a new windows 7.
    I bought this hp 255 g4;https://www.amazon.com/Probook-Busi...er_cpu_speed-bin:2+to+2.9+GHz,p_85:2470955011

But its not working as fast as it should. Slower then my old laptop with i3, 1.6ghz 8gb. The new one takes lot longer to load videos or new websites properly. I get 50mbps and only 7-10pings. 0 issue in old laptop but new one ....alot of issue. not sure if one of the windows update caused it. I have my windows update turned off on my old laptop. its a hp 350 g1.

I need a laptop for business purpose. I dont play games. but I sometime have like 20-30 tabs open on chrome. sometime alot of videos that uses shockwave on chrome. I have 0 issues on my current laptop but going to give it someone so I thought upgrade to a new laptop but having hardtime finding a windows 7 with good reliability.

should I just buy a cheap laptop with i3/a6 and upgrade to ssd and 8-16gb ram? That is the only option I see as all the windows7 is overpriced and I was trying to spend less than $500.

soumik, Jun 15, 2016
  2. soumik

Vash

After checked out the specifications, I'd say the weakest link is the 5400RPM HDD. If you upgrade it to a SSD, it will make a huge difference. The CPU and RAM are both enough. No need to get another laptop when you can make your laptop go smoother with just a single component upgrade. I have upgraded my old Dell Vostro 1500 with SSD twice. I could literally feel the smoothness after using the SSD. No way I can go back to a HDD once I have tasted the power of SSD. My first SSD was a 128GB Lite-on I bought in 2011. It was overpriced. Then I upgraded it to a 512GB SSD in 2015 for actually lower price.

The investment in SSD will not go wasted. Even if you get a new laptop in the future, you can move the SSD to the new laptop if you wish. They are so much cheaper than what they used to be.

You have enough RAM. No need to upgrade it unless your system always show insufficient free RAM.

Vash, Jun 15, 2016
  3. soumik

soumik

Thats what im thinking. even though I wanted a new laptop....the work it goes on setting up a new laptop with all apps.....its a nightmare. I will just give the person who wanted a laptop a new one. found a good one for $250 on amazon. ya i will just get that ssd and call it a day.
    so whats the best way to transfer all my dad including my softwares and apps i have on my current hdd?

soumik, Jun 15, 2016
Ask a Question