Buying a new Laptop for TV out movies. Graphics card and processor important?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by gontrand, Oct 15, 2013.

1. gontrand

gontrand

whats up tech gangsters, im about to drop a few bills on a new laptop for pretty much only 2 uses: browsing the web and watching high def movies (.mp4 .mkv 1080p blue rays etc....) on a TV out display (about 42 inches LG i think)

im not gonna be playing games at all because i have a desktop for that.

my question is: for the purpose of watching high def movies on decently large TV, how important are the processor and the graphics card? can a decent integrated graphics card do the trick? im going to use HDMI i guess, because ive heard that it is better than the old VGA cable i was using.

i was thinking of buying something like a cheap Dell i5 with integrated graphics card for like $400. is it powerful enough? how futureproof? etc.. can an i3 be enough?

thanks guys.

gontrand, Oct 15, 2013
  2. gontrand

Nestone50

If you are thinking about the possibility of streaming to your TV using a Google Chromecast via the Chrome browser, you will need an i5 or equivalent for HD quality video. For standard video, a i3 processor or equivalent will work. So, the Dell laptop you mention should work fine.

Nestone50, Oct 23, 2013
  3. gontrand

mikelouis

Of course it is important. Having a great graphics card will make it possible to render most video files with no hanging. But of course it will not be as high as when you want a laptop for gaming. Any normal laptop with average graphics will be fine.

mikelouis, Mar 2, 2014
  4. gontrand

bobthemuffinman

Probably you would want a cheap laptop, if it is just for web browsing and watching movies. I think that the Dell you were looking at for $500 will do perfectly fine.

bobthemuffinman, Mar 16, 2014
Ask a Question