BSOD unmountable_boot_device installing xp

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mds1256, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mds1256

mds1256

i am getting the above error when booting from USB key drive. Slipstreamed XP SP3.

choose option 1 (text based setup) then when it loads fat manager etc and it then states:

Setup is Starting windows, after a couple of seconds it BSOD and comes up with Unmountable_boot_device

any ideas,

tried different windows also SP2.

are there any SATA drivers needed?

I have the A110 - 8gb SSD, 512ram

mds1256, Oct 28, 2008
  2. mds1256

goofball

try using an XP SP3 source.

goofball, Oct 28, 2008
  3. mds1256

mds1256

what do you mean, where can i get this from

mds1256, Oct 28, 2008
  4. mds1256

goofball

You said you were using multiple XP SP2 sources. You should try an XP SP3 source.
    I don't know how you got your XP SP2 sources, but perhaps you can use nlite to create an XP SP3 source?

goofball, Oct 28, 2008
  5. mds1256

mds1256

i see sorry,

but i have used my SP2 source and slipstreamed SP3 in to it and it didnt work.

Struggling with this one, i have an external usb cd rom now so will try that tonight using disk instead of USB drive

mds1256, Oct 28, 2008
  6. mds1256

mds1256

sorted now, it was my usb drive, works perfect on an external usb cd rom

mds1256, Oct 28, 2008
  7. mds1256

Zero

I have the same problem.

So the usb stick I bought just to install XP does not work.

I will try to borrow a USB Cd drive from somebody!

Zero, Oct 28, 2008
  8. mds1256

ovaltine

I used a Sandisk U3 usb stick. There is a software that can load any ISO file into the USB stick and the BIOS will recognize it as a USB CD-ROM when booting.

So it works like a USB cd-rom, but I still got the same error during the installation. I tried XP SP2 and XP SP3...no go for me.

I then tried Vista - it works. So I don't know what's wrong with USB stick and XP.

Note: both XP and Vista work on a "real" external optical drive.

ovaltine, Oct 30, 2008
  9. mds1256

Zero

I am using a Sandisk U3 model aswell.. Also tried SP2 and 3.

Zero, Oct 30, 2008
  10. mds1256

ovaltine

I found the problem might be realted to whether you run the U3 utitlity on Vista or XP.

I tried both SP2 and SP3 with a computer running Vista, and though the utitlity reported no problem, it still gave me BSOD during installation.

Then I tried to run the utility on a compute running XP SP3, and I used a SP3 ISO. This time, the flash stick can boot and install XP without any problem.

It's a weird solution but it does work!

ovaltine, Oct 31, 2008
  11. mds1256

goofball

Do you have any other USB device plugged in? Have only the Sandisk U3 drive plugged into the USB port and disconnect anything else.

goofball, Oct 31, 2008
  12. mds1256

Zero

I have nothing else connected.

I think I will try having the autorun disabled in the U3 menu. (but the U3 as cdrom method replaces the U3 software anyway, so will that have any effect?)

Or I will try installing vista now.

I used the USB stick under a windows xp sp3 and used a winxp sp0 iso unaltered, nliited sp2 iso and nlited sp3 iso and both methods (u3 customizer and bootsect with petousb), always same result. (even try disconnecting usb stick just before error warning (different error message, but still blue screen)

Zero, Oct 31, 2008
  13. mds1256

westcoastoffense

Successfully created 2 bootable U3 USB sticks with (Winxp Pro SP3 Nlite on a 4GB U3) and (Vista SP1 Nlite on a 8GB U3).

I have tested them out on my AA1 dual boot and they install perfectly with no glitches, also installed on a Lenovo, Eee 901,

and a MSI Wind.....the other three netbooks belong to (room-mates/classmates)

Installing on an EEE is a slight different procedure (boot device order),but works just fine.

Good thing about this way of instalation is that you do not have to (delete/format)other partitions if you have more than one.

It also installs both OS's extremely fast.

If you are having any problems, just follow goofballs guide and read the replies he has posted.

Remember not to have any usb devices plugged in other than the U3 Stick that you are trying to install from.

I actually got a BSOD first try because I had my USB wireless mouse dongle in a USB port when trying to install WINXP PRO.

Just want to say thanks goofball.

Now I have both OS's and all the software needed for both OS's on two little USB sticks.

Regards,

westcoastoffense

westcoastoffense, Oct 31, 2008
  14. mds1256

Zero

No change with U3 autorun disabled. The bios shows two usb sticks: one cd rom and one hdd.(I have just the one U3 USB Stick plugged in) I suppose that is how it should be, right?

I tried Vista and it works (just could not install, in the menu after formatting it says I need at least 8192 MB space on the SSD (or something in that region))

Now using vlite. And trying again.

Zero, Nov 1, 2008
  15. mds1256

mattroeske

im having the same problem with my sandisk u3. Im using a xp sp2 iso created with nlite on a seperate xp sp2 machine. Boots into BSOD. Does anyone have any clues as to wtf this is happening?

I disabled D2D in the bios. I read something earlier about the order of the boot devices? Anything else that needs to be done?

mattroeske, Nov 8, 2008
  16. mds1256

pescador

I had issues with the U3 installations as well. Kept getting BSODs installing XP but not Vista.
    So I tried this which was found in one the threads and this worked!

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900

Here is a video I found on Youtube showing the process too:

pescador, Nov 8, 2008
  17. mds1256

trepamuros

I'm not sure what are you doing, but the "unmountable boot volume" error is related to file corruption on the primary hard drive. It's not a problem of the installation source. The problem is the AAO hard disk (or SSD). WARNING: May be a damaged hard drive/SSD drive.

Try this:
    Plug your XP bootable USB drive, let it boot, enter XP recovery console (press R when you have the option), wait... when possible, select C:\WINDOWS as the installation you want to enter, then you can enter a command line.

Type:
    CHKDSK /P
    and press enter. Wait for the disk to be scanned and repaired...
    Once finished, type:
    EXIT
    and press enter. Remove the USB stick. Let XP to boot from your AAO. Probably, XP will boot normally.

But...
    I suffered that problem several times on my desktop computer. I fixed the problem dozens of times, but it happened again and again (some times one month later, some others a couple of days later...). The hard disk was broken (had lots of phisical errors, damaged clusters). I replaced the hard disk and everything went fine. So, if you experience this problem again, you are warned you may have a damaged hard drive unit.

trepamuros, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question