brother mfc-240c printer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by francisg3, Aug 16, 2008.

1. francisg3

francisg3

i cannot install my brother (its on a network) on my aspire one with linpus lite. anyone willing to lend a helping hand? thank you.

francisg3, Aug 16, 2008
  2. francisg3

two_wheels

OK I'm no Linux veteran but i do have a Brother MFC-420 CN working with network printing. I can't remember the exact steps but it goes something like this:

Be sure you've got the latest version of cups. From a terminal prompt, enter

sudo yum update cups

Then visit the Brother web site and get the CUPS wrapper and the LPR driver for your printer. Install those. Then open your web browser and type in the address:

http://localhost:631

Click "Manage Printers." You may have to have root powers to accomplish this.

-If everything went well, you should see your printer in the list.

-Select "Modify Printer." The important step is to select the device for the printer. Choose "LPD/LPR Host or Printer."

-In the next step you enter lpd://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the window (where the xxx's are the printer's IP address)

two_wheels, Aug 18, 2008
Ask a Question