Broken Screen. Next step?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bensully, Jul 6, 2009.

1. bensully

bensully

So this morning I awoke to find my AOA150 with a small crack at the bottom of the screen located in the very center of the glass. The screen glowed white and had the classic signature of a small blossom of colors where the break was located. Shit.

As I work tech support for a University, I grabbed it anyway and rushed to work so I could crack it open and diagnose the problem.

I pulled the LCD assembly out to find more than a few cracks, the blasted thing is very dead.

I have my receipt from Microcenter but I doubt they'd replace it. Technically it's still under a year old and eligible for warranty but the internets are telling me that Acer rarely replaces cracked screens. Also adding some extra RAM in myself may have voided the contract so I may be dead in the water regardless.

I am now faced with two options.

1) I buy a new screen on ebay and replace it myself. Advantage: $50, easy, quick.

2) I buy an AOD250 because I want that 10.1" screen. Problem: $350.

Obviously I'd prefer to spend the least amount of money but if I could part the old one out to make up the difference, I totally will.

Questions for y'all:
    How much can I make off the old parts?
    If I can, how and where would I sell the thing sans a working screen?
    Would it be worth it?

What do you think?

bensully, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question