Brand New One Dead?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Kriton, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Kriton

Kriton

I hate McAffee - really. Dead stock out of the box Aspire One, 160/1gb - boot it up, Windows starts - the Acer driver loader thing starts, gets to the "wbcam driver" and McAffee pops up with its bullshit warning about something trying to launch, and do I want it to do this - and the whole thing freezes up solid - touch pad won't work to choose yes, sits for 15 minutes - I try to Alt-Ctrl-Del, nothing works - so I press the power button to power down and then try to reboot - the power led comes on for a couple of seconds and then the computer clicks and shuts off. I have done this 5 times, with the same result - what the hell? Is there a lock mechanism or on-button kkey combination to unlock the machine?

This is not a RAM issue or mod issue, I have touched the thing.

Can any one suggest anything, or am I screwed? I wanted to go back into safe mode and rip McAffee out of there with a stick, but I can;t even get there it appears.

Thanks! Bruce

Kriton, Dec 17, 2008
  2. Kriton

melhiore

Have you charged up the battery before booting up the machine??

melhiore, Dec 17, 2008
  3. Kriton

Kriton

When I booted the thing up, I was in WIndows for a short period of time, and the AC adapter was plugged - the battery indicator read 94%? Shoudl the battery charge matter if the AC adapter was plugged in at the time ( I anticipated the battery would be dead, but I also figured the AA0 would work without the battery)?

With *just* the adapter plugged in, and no battery - I press the on button, and it lights, and then two seconds later, clicks, and the harddrive spins down...what do you think? Why the hell would they put a trial copy of McAffee on this thing when it is likely to freeze it up, what is the sense in that?

B

Kriton, Dec 17, 2008
  4. Kriton

melhiore

I think you should consider taking AA1 back to shop and replace it... Trials are put to any Windows preinstalled machines offered on the market - who knows why... That's why I always perform full format and do clean install with any new machine I have... :)

melhiore, Dec 17, 2008
  5. Kriton

Kriton

I would love to a clean install - but I can't even get to the boot up menu? Machine has not been jostled or dropped, could something have been dislodged internally? Don;t want to send this thing back, but this does not bode well for my first AA0, dammit.

B

Kriton, Dec 17, 2008
Ask a Question