Bottom panel blocking bottom of window

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Bob D, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Bob D

Bob D

Is there a way to keep for instance Thunderbird "on top" of the supposedly hidden bottom panel in Linpus? The supposedly "hidden" panel still sticks up and blots out about 2/3 of the status bar on many apps.

In Ubuntu I know how to fix this but no idea in Linpus, thanks for any help!

Bob

EDIT: I tried the "Show Hide Button" and that helps a lot. Unfortunately, when I put the panel at the top of the screen, it goes completely wacky, there are 4 panels in a row! Anyway, for now I'm relatively happyy :)

BD

Bob D, Sep 23, 2008
  2. Bob D

rbil

rbil, Sep 23, 2008
  3. Bob D

donec

How do you do that in Ubuntu?

donec, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Bob D

Bob D

I don't have an Ubuntu installation nearby right now so I don't remember exactly, but I think it's apps/panel/toplevels (?)

There you can set the size for the hidden panels at 0, so they are just a visible line at the edge of the screen. You can adjust the hide/unhide speed as well which is very nice.

Bob D, Sep 24, 2008
  5. Bob D

IMSancho

Enable compositing, I think it's under 'Settings -> Window Manager Tweaks' (can't check sorry as I'm using compiz now) and you should then be able to go to 'Settings -> Panel Manager' and set the panel transparency to 100% and tick 'Make active panel opaque'. After that the panel should disappear completely when not in use allowing you to see the bottom of your active window. You may need to add the following line to your xorg.conf before you can enable compositing:
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

IMSancho, Sep 24, 2008
  6. Bob D

Bob D

Thanks for that info.
    I did something else that works too; ticked the "Show Hide Button" in the Panel Manager. That makes the panel zip up into a teeny little box when hidden. Works fine.

Bob D, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question