Boot11/DellEFI Equivalent for AAO?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by srvaao, Mar 14, 2009.

1. srvaao

srvaao

I've had the iAtkos install on my AAO and it was pretty good, but there were enough little things that I wasn't totally happy with it (I even have an original Airport Extreme card from my MacPro in it). I went back to XP but had the itch. After researching, I got a Dell Mini 9 and the install is so much easier and the compatibility is excellent. Basically, you use the boot11 method to startup syslinux, then replace it with your Leopard retail DVD, and run DellEFI which applies settings/patches to make it work. I was wondering if anyone has gotten something like this to work on the AAO. I really love the computer and keyboard, but I just find the Mini with 10.5.6 so much more fun to use.

srvaao, Mar 14, 2009
  2. srvaao

chuckcalo

IMO it's easier for us to just boot up a dvd distro and install it other than syslinux > dvd > dellefi. It's 1 step vs 3.

And, what's the difference anyways? You get a working OS X installation with everything (except for wifi and sleep; althought there's Hibernate). Why complicating the things with a so called AcerEFI ?

chuckcalo, Mar 15, 2009
  3. srvaao

jausse

You're not complicating things, you're just making things easier for the en user: just one app to install and it does all the dirty work of adding all the drivers and the bootloader. And on top of that your install of OSX is vanilla, and you are using the Install DVD that you bought, not a pirated modified copy of the software.

jausse, Mar 19, 2009
  4. srvaao

2manydjs

An "AcerEFI" would not solve the two main problems with the AAO running OS X: no proper support for sleep and the WiFi card. Personally I agree with chuckcalo; the iAtkos guide makes it very easy to install OS X on the AAO.

2manydjs, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question