Boot0: MBR Boot0: Done error, need a fix

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by CJtech323, Jan 18, 2009.

1. CJtech323

CJtech323

I have spent the last three hours trying to get my osx install to work :evil: . I first got stuck with the Boot0: error message, but searched insanelymac and found this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844 and tried it and now i am getting a Boot0: MBR Boot0: done screen when i boot up. I followed Rory's guide step by step and reinstalled it countless times to make sure i wasnt missing something. I need help... please haha.

CJtech323, Jan 18, 2009
  2. CJtech323

carlisle_united

Do you still have the windows recovery partion left?
    I had the boot0: error until I removed it.

carlisle_united, Jan 18, 2009
  3. CJtech323

chuckcalo

You should try installing Windows first then doing a partition for Mac OS X in Windows and format it Journaled mode via the OS X DVD. That's how I got mine to work. However I deleted my Recovery partition and fused it wiht my Windows one, I'm also able to write/read the NTFS partiton (Windows) from Mac OS X thanks to software. I still have my Windows partition for when I take my AAO outside so I can brag about it (LOL). Anyways, it's also good to have Windows for software that normally don't work in OS X.

chuckcalo, Jan 18, 2009
  4. CJtech323

CJtech323

Ugh this is ridiculous. I completely swiped my hard drive with active kill disk, reinstalled XP to 70gb, then, using partition magic i formatted the rest of the unallocated space as FAT 32+. Then I installed all of the drivers for my AAO into XP and botted into iAtkos 5i. I went to disk utility and formatted my FAT 32+ partition as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then exited disk utility. Then i customized the install to Rory's specs and completed the install. Upon reboot it got a Boot0: Error. I then booted into iAtkos 5i again and then into terminal and made the OS X parition active. Then i rebooted and got the same f*****g Boot0: MBR Boot0: Done message :evil: . What am i doing wrong???

CJtech323, Jan 18, 2009
  5. CJtech323

Northernsky

When I had this issue, I used the iAtkos install disk to make my XP partition primary, and then just used the Chain0 method (google or search the forum) and used the XP bootloader instead of Darwin. Worked perfectly for me.

Northernsky, Jan 20, 2009
  6. CJtech323

endlessnameless

I had a similar issue and had xp installed first. Within xp I created another partition as fat32 and made it a primary partition, then the install went without a problem. The darwin bootloader took control as boot manager since osx was installed second.

endlessnameless, Jan 20, 2009
  7. CJtech323

S0L

I had no-end of problems with getting a dual boot XP and Boot-132 method OSX to work properly - and in the end gave up (and chose to stick with XP as I found I got better performance in WOW and Mame.. yes sad I know...!).

The big problem I found seemed to be XP dealing with non-standard partitions. Whilst I could always get OSX to boot no matter how it was installed, XP just either couldn't find the bootloader, or when it did attempt to boot - literally spacked out and popped a load of flashing nonsense to the screen.

In terms of installs, I've got a stock 32 bit WinXP Pro SP2 disk, and a Leopard 10.5.4 retail disk. To boot Leopard and install it - I followed these instructions here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 7765366890 (though this is for a single, not dual boot system)

Here's the combinations I tried...

OSX Install first (via Boot-132). Drive partitioned with GUID partition type. No matter of the number of partitions, Xp either fails to find boot.ini (which results in a 'missing HAL.dll' type error, or 'Missing operating' system error. Due to GUID (or GPT) backward compatibility, I got closest when XP was installed to the 4th partition on the disk, here the install went OK, but once fully installed, again, just an error at boot time. Tried the Chain0 method for the bootloader - as although the Darwin Bootloader could see the XP install -selecting it just locked the machine up. I think the core of the problem with GUID, is XP is attempting to boot the EFI partition. I tried copying in the Boot.ini and other start files to the EFI partition, but again, no dice.

OSX Install first (via Boot-132). Drive partitioned with MBR scheme. Note I had to hack the Retail Leopard installer using XAR on a real mac to do this. It lifts the restriction stopping the install if you're not using a GUID partitioned drive. Regardless, I figured this would finally solve my woes, but it didn't :( Again OSX worked fine, but no matter which partition XP was on - it still failed to boot.

XP install first, the Leopard via Boot 132 - Of course, installing XP first worked :) Until I put on Leopard. The no dice. regardless of active partition, fixboot or fixmbr commands issued, XP just either fails with an error, or chucks random characters onto the screen when it tries to fire. Again OSX works fine... Gah!

Note that I tried installing XP with both FAT32 and NTFS - didn't work either way. I've switched active partitions and wrote out new MBR's more than I've had hot dinners this year! I also spent a lot of time looking to find a good walkthrough with the same setup here, on InsanelyMax, OSX86, real Mac forums the lot. Didn't find any joy - though from the looks of it XP64 might stand a better chance of working, well if you've not got an Atom processor that is :p

I'm sure it's perfectly acheivable - just I've not figured out the magic to do it! I suspect if you use Kaylyway, iAtkos or xXx distros it probably does work, just I want to try and keep the Leopard install as pure as I can so Automatic Updates don't bork it.

Of course, if anyone has successfully done a Dual boot of XP (32bit) and Retail Leopard - I'd love to hear how :)

Sol

S0L, Jan 25, 2009
  8. CJtech323

Kopsis

Slightly off-topic, but I've seen similar comments often enough that I think a little meme busting is in order :)

There's no such thing as a "pure" Leopard install on the AAO unless you're willing to make major functional sacrifices. Even when you install off retail, you're still going to have to do significant customization to get sound, full resolution screen, keyboard, trackpad, wired LAN, etc. working. By the time you're done, your "pure" install isn't significantly different than an iAtkos install. Both can do automatic updates and both run the same risk of getting "borked" in the process. For example, the 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 update would have broken a customized retail install on the AAO in exactly the same ways that it breaks iAtkos v5.

On desktop hardware that has a high degree of OS X compatiblity (all, or at least most, features work out-of-the-box) then a retail Leopard install makes sense. On a highly non-standard machine like the AAO, the only good reason I can think of to go retail is if downloading something like iAtkos is a serious ethical dilema for you.

Kopsis, Jan 25, 2009
  9. CJtech323

S0L

It's not really an ethical decision as I know technically you're not allowed to install to non-Apple hardware. I do see your point about having to use modified Kexts to even get a retail install to work though.

Whilst I've not tried the latest iAtkos - I did spend time getting Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 and it was a pain to use the various combo update pre and post patch settings. At the end it also felt 'chuggy' like something wasn't entirely right - even after patching it with the Voodoo Kernel and the same kexts I've used for the retail install. Could all be in my head of course, but there's that niggle that somethings not right.

The retail install, even with the patches just seems to feel better. It's also far easier to install, run the software update, then install whatever kexts and kernels at the end.

If only I could figure out the magic to get XP on at the same time I'd be a happy lad :p

All that said of course, I think I will try iAtkos - I do miss seeing OSX on the AAO - and see if that resolves my XP woes. Cue re-partitioning take 297 :p

Sol

S0L, Jan 26, 2009
  10. CJtech323

Kopsis

My AAO running iAtkos v5 patched to 10.5.6 per Diablonet's instructions returns a 46.01 XBench score. Compared to 92.52 on my 1.66 GHz Core Duo MacMini, that seems pretty good (the Atom is single core and much less computationally efficient than the Core microarchitecture without special compiler optimization). It definitely doesn't feel sluggish. In fact I'm a bit surprised at how well OS X runs on netbook class machines :)

Kopsis, Jan 26, 2009
  11. CJtech323

54patman

I had a similar problem and this is the only way I figured out to get OSX installed. The first thing is that OSX has to go first and not using Disk Utility from the OSX DVD will result in a failed attempt. Then have the Acer recovery DVD handy, I hope you have it otherwise stop reading.

1.Following any guide boot off the DVD
    2.When loaded use Disk Utility to format the drive, I use three partitions. XP as FAT32, Leopard as Extended journaled, and a Data drive as FAT32 just to share data between the two OSes
    3.Follow the OSX guide.
    4.Once OSX is setup it’s time for XP. At this point the Master Boot Record (MBR) only knows about OSX, so it always boots OSX until you put XP.
    5.Boot the recovery DVD and let Acer take control (I know scary thought!). After this is done OSX no longer boots up. Because Windows rewrites the MBR and points it to itself, how selfish!
    6.To get OSX to boot you have to tell windows about the other partition. Using this guide (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0 ) and download the “riccardo.raneri.it ” RAR file that contains the chain0 file you need. Set OSX in the boot.ini. This is actually all explained on the page.
    7.Reboot and magically see the windows OS selector and make your selection.

I am sure others got it to work using many other ways, but this for me works every time. Remember if your reinstall OSX at any point after, it will change the MBR and windows will stop booting. All you have to do is set it back. A good way is using a XP cd, not the recovery DVD, and running fixboot or fixMBR from the recovery tool, which should solve those problems. But, just reinstalling windows from the XP cd will fix the boot problem also.

My 2 cents,

Pat

54patman, Jan 27, 2009
  12. CJtech323

S0L

Thanks for the tips Pat,

Just on the Partitioning - did you go with MBR or GUID? Also which Partition order did you go with... Was it like this?

1. OSX (MacOS Journaled)
    2. Shared Drive (FAT32)
    3. WinXP (FAT32)

Does the Acer recovery disk format the WinXP partition back to NTFS, or leave it as FAT32?

If you can confirm, I'll try this with the Boot-132 install of Leopard :) I think maybe where I've gone wrong is in my later installs I tended to put on OSX after XP - and I suspect the Chameleon Bootloader does odd things to XP's. Even though XP shows up in Darwin, still didn't play ball.

Sol

S0L, Jan 27, 2009
  13. CJtech323

54patman

Hi Sol,

I cannot be totally sure about which boot loader I am using, but I would guess it would be MBR because it uses the XP OS selector which I assume is coming from booting the initial portion of XP. And if I remember correctly windows relies on being the first OS in the MBR, but it’s been a while since I researched this and I do not remember.

For the partitions here is what I use:
    1. WinXP (FAT32) installed second through DVD recovery
    2. OSX (MacOS Journaled) installed first
    3. Shared Drive (FAT32)

I believe the Acer recovery DVD will reimage as NTFS, but I cannot check right now because XP will not boot anymore, played too much with the partitions and now I get to perform my whole procedure again! I’ll write back in a day or two exactly what it does.

54patman, Jan 28, 2009
  14. CJtech323

S0L

Ace stuff, thanks!

I'll have a play with this tonight to see if I can get it working then. If it works, I'll jot down the steps too to share :)

Ta,

Sol

S0L, Jan 28, 2009
  15. CJtech323

DogEater008

Hehe, I had the same problem and stumbled for days trying different things like reformating. =P.

Luckly though, before i reformat the AA1, i made a back up of my MAC OS partition and Time Machine Partition (after getting the error) with Acronis. Backing up and restoring mac os partition takes VERY LONG since acronis would have to do it sector by sector, but it still better than having to install everything over again!

Well, anyways, You can easily fix this if you have a Time Machine Backup on a working hdd or partition.

1. insert your iAtko installer cd (or from USB),
    2. format your MAC OSX partition
    3 .Install a fresh install of MAC OSX
    after MAC OSX is installed and booted, it'll ask you if you want to restore any data back from sources like "Time Machine"
    4. Select "transfer information from time machine" or something like that
    And it'll let you chose what kind of files and information to restore like: application data, user setting, network setting, and system file.
    When i did it, i selected all 4 of them, but it seems to stop at "restoring network settings" so I just restarted my computer. So If i were to try again, i would probably uncheck the "network setting." (in case you attempted to get the stock wifi card to work or installed a new wiireless N card like me that may cause it to not being able to restore properly... don't know)
    5. Restore information from Time Machine

You may have to reinstall some of the kext files and upgrade to 10.5.6, but I made backup of the updates so I didn't have to wait for it to be downloaded again. =P It defintely took me less than 30 minutes to get everything installed back to normal. =P

Note: After i restored my Mac OSX, for some reason my Windows 7 on another partition were hanging at the windows load screen. And i figured out by trying to boot it into safe mode that windows was hanging when trying too boot the "AGP440.sys" file. Windows 7 Repair system doesn't fix it, but luckly before i messed with my MAC OSX partition, i Made an acronis backing of my Windows 7 (which was only 3gb) and it restored everything back in 15 minutes. Now both OSX and Windows 7 are working!

I made a backup of both my partitions Mac OSX partition and Windows 7 with acronis after everything was in place =P. .So hopefully next time something crashes, I wouldn't have to spend days restoring it; instead, it'll just be leaving my laptop on and let it restore =P.

Just a thought: I think someone should reinstall a Fresh OSX, WIndows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu into a AA1, and back up all the partitions with acronis (try to make the partition big enough just to fit the updates and install the OS so it doesn't create a huge backup file) and upload it. Since i'm sure everyone here has the same general hardware on their AA1, it'll be a lot easier to restore data. =P I would upload mine if it wasn't filled with personal data =P. So maybe someone who crashed their partition badly may want to volunteer and save the later trouble for themselves and others =P.

My 35gb OSX partition + 20gb Windows 7 partition (including all software i installed needed for school), my backup file is only 32GB. =P

Also, for Windows operating system, you can restore this on any machine (with different hardware) using Universal Restore. =P

DogEater008, Feb 10, 2009
  16. CJtech323

jesus_jones

Hi has anyone solved this problem?

I had xp installed and created a partition for Mac osx, I reformatted the osx partition as part of the installation of osx86 that went fine but now I get this boot0: error message and I can't boot into xp.

jesus_jones, Feb 17, 2009
  17. CJtech323

victorgolf

i read something in another forum about running fdisk on terminal and setting the parttion in which leopard is active and the exiting the terminal and restart and it will boot

victorgolf, Mar 15, 2009
  18. CJtech323

victorgolf

this is the post I've read it is thanks to insanlymac

There is a built-in Unix utility in MacOSX that can be used to set your partition "Active". It is called Fdisk

Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk

Words in bold below are things you must type (followed by Enter).

1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd
    2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal

3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

4. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then
    type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

5. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

6. Set the partition "Active"

Assuming it is partition 1, then
    type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

7. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

victorgolf, Mar 15, 2009
  19. CJtech323

veedub

yup. you need to use the fdisk utility on the osx disk per the above post:
    - set it to boot to the partition that xp is installed on.
    - boot into xp, copy the "chain0" file to the c:\
    - add the "C:\chain0="Mac OS X86" line to the boot.ini (use my computer -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery, settings -> defaul operating systems, edit)

i've had xp and osx (iatkos 5i) dual boot for months and just did an install on a friend's One.

You can get the "chain0" download here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0

good luck!

veedub, Mar 16, 2009
Ask a Question