Black Screen of Doom

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by chuckcalo, May 11, 2009.

1. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Yeah I finally (/sarcasm) got a Black Screen of Doom. It happened the other day when I closed the lid and the netbook wouldn't work since then. I've tried following Macles advise on how to recover BIOS. Please I need help, it seems like my USB are not being read. I've tried the process with about 4 differents USBs on each of the 3 USB ports and Ive have no luck so far. The power lid blinks but it won't do anything, I've tried leaving it for a while like that and no dice. Help please.

chuckcalo, May 11, 2009
  2. chuckcalo

aric

I would suggest returning it to Acer, for a free repair. Although, what you could try...

Is taking the unit apart, and unplugging the CMOS battery, (* it's a little nickel li-ion battery, of circular shape *) and letting the BIOS revert to it's old settings. After all its ROM its electrically powered... Make sure no voltage is going into the unit, (* unplug battery, and AC cord *).

do that for like 30 seconds, then plug everything back in and turn it on. I think that should have flashed your CMOS... If that still doesn't work you need to figure out how to flash your BIOS. I'm not sure how to do it on a laptop/netbook but I know on a PC theres a little jumper that you pull out...

Good luck

aric, May 13, 2009
  3. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Been there done that, but it didn't work.

chuckcalo, May 13, 2009
  4. chuckcalo

yesbar

I have the exact same problem. I turn it on and the only thing that lids up is the power button. I can hear the HDD running but thats it. The screen doesnt turn on!

I tried as chuckcalo to flash the bios but it doesnt read from the usb :(

Any help is appreciated!!

yesbar, May 16, 2009
  5. chuckcalo

riverindus

See the first topic in this htread.The bios has to be flashed correctly with the power adapter and battery connected along with the usb stick n you are using to flash the bios.If that is the method you are using.

When you power on holding down ESC and en buttons wait 1-2 secs and press the power on button again briefly.The botton should flash.Then you have to wait until the f2 screen appears .When it does shut down acer/power up again and load system recovery cd via external drive or usb method.

It worked for me .Good luck(used Macles Blogspot for guide on flash bios usb stick preparation)

riverindus, May 18, 2009
Ask a Question