Black screen of death fix not working

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by G-Stress, Jan 29, 2011.

1. G-Stress

G-Stress

Hey guys. I'm posting for a friend. I'm trying to get this Acer AOA 150 netbook back up and running, it appears it has the "black screen of death". I've searched, read and tried the "fix" a variety of ways, even following a few video tutorials via youtube to no success.

What's going on is I insert the usb stick, hold down FN+ESC, hit the power, etc. the problem is it doesn't ever see the usb stick it seems. I've tried a few different usb sticks all the same issue. It boots and the power light just keeps flashing, I never see any activity at all.

Was wondering if there was an alternative method. I heard about somehow possibly modifying the batch file, but haven't found that yet.

Any advice, tips anything greatly appreciated.

G-Stress, Jan 29, 2011
  2. G-Stress

donec

I was wanting to know if the AAO D150-1920 I have had any RAM built in so I removed the 2Gb RAM memory card from the memory slot and tried to boot. Well that model does not have any soldered in RAM. What happened was the computer started with a black screen and that was all no bios setup or anything else. So maybe your problem could be bad memory??

donec, Jan 29, 2011
  3. G-Stress

Swarvey Moderator

I've had problems with incorrectly seated, or dirty RAM causing the Black Screen of Death in the past, the two time's I've had it are after RAM upgrades or through disassembly. Try removing and reinstalling the RAM chip.

Failing that, the USB stick must be formatted properly, from memory I think it needs to be FAT or FAT32 so make sure your USB stick has been formatted appropriately.

Swarvey, Jan 29, 2011
  4. G-Stress

G-Stress

Thanks for the replies guys. The usb be stick was formatted properly as FAT according to the fix that's the correct file system to use. As I mentioned I also tried numerous usb sticks. I will check the ram as well though. Hopefully that's what it is. I'd really like to get this up and going for my friend.

Will give it a try in the am and report back.

G-Stress, Jan 30, 2011
Ask a Question