black screen/hardware question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by tearingmyhairout, May 11, 2009.

1. tearingmyhairout

tearingmyhairout

Sorry, if this is the wrong section, but I can't find my specific problems covered anywhere in a single place--so I'd better post here (especially as I only joined today to find an answer to this problem).

Yesterday, I finished writing a VERY important 11000 word document on my AspireOne. I went to make a cup of tea and when I came back, the computer was dead. I didn't worry as I'd been on battery power but when I tried to boot up with the power cables connected there was still nothing! I tried all the usual things (checking cables, restarting, etc) to no avail. Finally, I went online and got the BIOS info from the product site. Using a flash drive with the BIOS files on them (which I renamed as indicated) I tried to boot up: still nothing! After holding Escape and FN down for a few seconds and then pressing power, letting it blink before pressing power again, I did get a blue flicker or 2 from my flash drive, but the computer still wasn't starting. I feel that the problem resides in the fact that only the power and battery lights show green--nothing from the other two.

The document is of incredible importance and I am happy to trash the computer as long as I can retrieve the data. Can I do this? If so, what's the best way? Can the local guy in a computer workshop easily get the data off the hard drive?

My email is [email protected] and I would be truly grateful for any help with this problem. Model is ZG5 and it's long out of warranty.

tearingmyhairout, May 11, 2009
  2. tearingmyhairout

jackluo923

Remove battery and AC for 5 minutes, then plug it back and see if it works or not.

Anyways.. if that doesn't work and you seriously want the data right away. You can disassemble the laptop (takes 5 minutes for me), take the hdd out, connect it to your desktop computer, then continue writing your document.

jackluo923, May 11, 2009
  3. tearingmyhairout

tearingmyhairout

Thanks, that's interesting, but how do I dissasemble it? On my model there is a small oblong compartment on the back and when the top is unscrewed there is nothing but a hollow space enclosed by black plastic. Below the black plastic I can see some kind of data card--but how can I remove the protecting black plastic all around it?

tearingmyhairout, May 11, 2009
  4. tearingmyhairout

chuckcalo

'Having the same problem as you. Tried that FN+ESC option and didn't work either. I hope someone can enlighten us.

chuckcalo, May 11, 2009
  5. tearingmyhairout

jackluo923

Download the "service manual" for AAO on this forum and follow the instructions. There's 5 screws on the bottom, 5 screws on the top I think. Tip: get very thing plastic card to pop the keyboard up or else you'll make dents on the keyboard bezel.

jackluo923, May 12, 2009
  6. tearingmyhairout

tearingmyhairout

As I never seem to have the required screwdrivers, I guess the easiest thing is simply to take it into a computer workshop and let them do it. Never had a laptop give out on me in quite such a sensational way before. The Acer One looks neat, but the small size comes with various disadvantages such as inadequate cooling and very small innards that are not reached easily.

I won't be buying another!

tearingmyhairout, May 12, 2009
  7. tearingmyhairout

tearingmyhairout

Finally, found a technician willing to dissasemble it--just one among about 100! I now have the hard drive to plug in, so everything is OK. Same technician quoted outrageous price for fixing Aspire One.

I didn't accept! :evil:

tearingmyhairout, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question