BIOS recovery problems, alternative method?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Mavec, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Mavec

Mavec

Hello...

I have an Acer Aspire One AOA-150 netbook. In the past, when I have received the "black screen of death" at startup, the process found at the following link has worked to recover the BIOS: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-...very.html.

However, the ESC key no longer works (I´ve only been using the machine as a virtual external monitor with MaxiVista). I've tried the sequence and it does not work (due to the above fact). Since the sequence requires FN-ESC to be pressed at the same time, I am wondering if it will work to plug in an external keyboard? I would need to buy one. Or is there any other possible way I could recover the BIOS? Or is the only thing left to do toss the computer in the scrap heap?

Thanks for any help...

Mavec

Mavec, Nov 24, 2010
  2. Mavec

shashishekhar

I think you should try to format it but i know one thing there is no need to dump it it can be repaired :cool:

shashishekhar, Nov 24, 2010
  3. Mavec

Mavec

Format the hard drive? How would I be able to do that when I cannot even turn it on correctly? All the same, that cannot be the solution. This is a BIOS issue, not a hard drive issue.

Mavec

Mavec, Nov 24, 2010
  4. Mavec

Swarvey Moderator

Are you saying the ESC key on your keyboard is not working? or the whole method? If it is the keyboard you should be able to grab a brand new one off eBay for around $20 or so. They're relatively simple to install, but getting the old one out can be a pain the proverbial.

Swarvey, Nov 25, 2010
Ask a Question