Best way to watch dvd on AA1 using usb stick

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Raiden, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Raiden

Raiden

Hi Everyone.

I want to put some kids dvd on my usb drive so they can listen to it in the car. I don't have an external dvd drive. what would be the best (and easiest way) to put the files on a usb stick (and probably read it with intervideo)?

Q2: If I put dvd files (video_ts) on the usb stick, will intervideo read it as a dvd?

Thx

Raiden, Nov 10, 2008
  2. Raiden

trepamuros

Well, you can't *copy* the video_ts folder directly from the DVD to the USB. You should decrypt (aka rip) the DVD (which may be illegal if you don't own an original copy).

You should use DVDFab or DVD Decrypter (both are free apps) to rip the DVD to files (DVD-structure), then copy the ripped files (video_ts folder) to the USB drive (or decrypt directly to the USB drive). This is of course way faster than making a compressed Xvid/DivX file, but at the cost of 4.7Gb per movie (opposite to 800Mb of a compressed movie).

Many players can play video_ts folders directly from an USB drive. You can use Videolan Media Player (aka VLC) or Media Player Clasics (aka MPC), both are wonderful small, free apps. You don't need a big, dedicated DVD player app like WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Hope it helps.

trepamuros, Nov 10, 2008
  3. Raiden

penandpaper

when you "rip" a dvd it takes up about 4.35gig of disk space. if your thumb drive isnt at least 8gigs your plan wont work. if you have a 8gig flash drive you probably can only fit 1 movie on there. if you have 16gig you can probably fit 3 movies. or, if you dont have a thumb drive, an apple ipod will work. without Itunes the PC will recognize the ipod just as another hard drive.

the program of choice is DVD SHRINK. google it. however, some dvds may not be able to rip because of the encryption used.

penandpaper, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Raiden

Wolydarg

I was looking at this before, would it be possible to use a program like DVDX (http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/) to rip the DVD into a .avi/.wmv and save space? Or would that still be ~4.35gb's?

'Cause when I used to pirate movies even the DVD rips were less than a gig each. Were they using something special?

Wolydarg, Nov 10, 2008
  5. Raiden

nmesisca

a rip is a quality match to the original. and space occupied matches too.
    what you were doing was ripping + compressing, thats why you were getting movies in the order of 800MB/1GB depending on quality.
    so.. yeah one of those apps will do the trick.
    On the AAO remember to install a codec pack though, otherwise you wont be able to watch the compressed video feed.

nmesisca, Nov 10, 2008
  6. Raiden

Raiden

Thanks Everyone!

I obviously have the original dvd, so I will try it out with DVD Shrink to put the video_ts files into the flash drive.

Will also try the other software, DVDx to put it compressed.

By the way, witch is better to run on AA1? AVI or WMV?

Thanks!

Raiden, Nov 10, 2008
  7. Raiden

aspiredragon

You might want to try Fair Use Wizard, http://www.fairusewizard.com I use it to copy my dvd's. The freeware version shrinks them down to 700mb, and quality is still good.

aspiredragon, Nov 10, 2008
  8. Raiden

Raiden

How much time does it takes you to do a dvd using dvdx? I tried reading my files from a DVD I have and It showed a remaining time over 5 hours!

And the official website says that it's the fastest at around 29 minutes?? Am I doing something wrong?

Raiden, Nov 11, 2008
  9. Raiden

eddweb

i also carry around my dvd's on a pendrive, in avi format.

i use 2 bits of soft to convert them,

Rip/removal of copy protection
    Anydvd (http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html) - removes the copy protection from the disk
    this can be done with a ripper i just find it being done at driver level easyer so i dont have to wory about extra steps once this is installed (all software sees the dvds as uncopy protected disks so will work strate from them)

conversion to avi
    CloneDVD mobile (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html) - this is for converting dvd's to mobile formats. there is a option to output to divx use this for your aa1

there is a 21 day demo for both - software fully works for 21 days then stops so if you can convert all the dvd's u need in that time your laughing as it wont cost you a peny!

you can download both from http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

this may sound a bit like an advert for them but have found there software relyable and easy to use

eddweb, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question