Best substance to reattach rubber feet

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by JoeCHecht, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JoeCHecht

JoeCHecht

What is the best substance to use to reattach the rubber feet to the bottom of Aspire One?

When I took them off, it appears they came from the factory with a little strip of tape.

I have taken them on and off so many times, the tape no longer sticks.

Also, I did try searching first, and was unsuccessful, so if this has been previously addressed, please pardon my inquiry.

Thanking you in advance,

Joe

JoeCHecht, Feb 22, 2009
  2. JoeCHecht

rmancl

double sided tape, available at any hardware store. get the thin stuff, 3M brand if available

rmancl, Feb 23, 2009
  3. JoeCHecht

Darryl

The above def does NOT work. However, double sided carpet tape will....

Darryl, Feb 23, 2009
  4. JoeCHecht

JoeCHecht

The double sided carpet tape worked wonders!

Thanks!

Joe

JoeCHecht, Feb 27, 2009
  5. JoeCHecht

GvidoR

I have opened my Aspire One about 7 times so far. I used super glue for the rubber feet, but since I was kind of running out of it, I decided to give double sided tape a try. I don't know if it was carpenters tape or not (it was laying around) and it really worked. :D

GvidoR, Mar 2, 2009
  6. JoeCHecht

woofer00

3M double stick will barely hold the feet on, the moment you try to slide the AAO the feet will just roll out of the socket.

I've got all my feet attached with an unusual combination of the tapes I had lying around, since I didn't want to go buy a roll of carpet tape just to use 2 sq cm of it.

Duct tape, adhesive to the back of the rubber feet. Duct tape attaches the best to the rubber itself.
    3M double-sided tape, to give an adhesive surface for the duct tape to adhere. However the 3M tape doesn't stick well enough to my liking to the plastic, so...
    Generic clear packing tape, adhesive to the plastic of the socket, non-adhesive side to the double sided tape.

Basically, a 3-tape sandwich, with double stick tape to reverse the adhesive layer. Would have used Duct tape on plastic side of the layering, except I do plan to re-open the case later on.

woofer00, Mar 2, 2009
  7. JoeCHecht

simba

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46012 this stuff works a treat. its soft and provides a brilliant bond - and its gel based so easy to apply and more importantly easy to remove. it doesnt try solid rock hard like super glue giving that semi easy peel for when u need to remove it. it wont lock up the screws either which super glue will.

simba, Mar 10, 2009
  8. JoeCHecht

mithat

I've used Pattex Repair Extreme from Henkel. Just apply a small drop :) It's a jelly formed glue and super for the rubber feets...

mithat, Mar 18, 2009
  9. JoeCHecht

Katana

Well I agree with the 3m tape being useless.

Will try and find some carpet tape.

Katana, Sep 4, 2009
  10. JoeCHecht

7dwarfs

I'm using 3M 9086:

Tape Color Translucent
    Adhesive Modified Acrylic
    Carrier Tissue
    Liner Color, Type, Print White Paper (Glassine) with Black 3M Logo
    Liner Caliper 3 mils

Highest quality stuff.

7dwarfs, Dec 17, 2009
  11. JoeCHecht

Paisley Pirate

Plain old rubber cement.

Paisley Pirate, Jan 25, 2010
  12. JoeCHecht

OldPhil

Contact cement applied correctly will not let go! clean both surfaces, apply a thin coat to both allow to dry for about 10 minutes then stick the feet in place. This is basically the same type of glue that holds the Formica to your counter tops. You can buy a small tube it is handy for many things, I am never without a tube on hand.

OldPhil, Jan 29, 2010
  13. JoeCHecht

CZroe

I kept losing them like crazy (also on my last full-sized performance Acer notebook). I use superglue when it got to be too much but if you don't peel off the remaining sticky stuff it doesn't work well. Now that I have a 9-cell battery and of course the two I have glued in the back don't even touch the ground, but neither do the two in front! They are suspended off the ground because the netbook is pitched forward onto the front of the laptop. The problem is that the two that came as part of the 9-cell battery are spongy and thin so they don't hold AT ALL.

They need to be rounded and grippy like the originals and, because the battery weighs so much more, it really needs to be a lot longer. It so sad seeing that the TOP side of the battery has the exact right kind of rubber in a strip that runs across it for the LCD display to rest on when fully opened. I want a strip of that to place on the bottom! If that isn't enough, I also need some taller ones for the front.

CZroe, Feb 20, 2010
  14. JoeCHecht

longjohn412

For stuff like that I use a product call Seal-all which is made by the 'Goop' people, in fact it's the original base product the others are based on. Just spread a thin layer on the rubber with a toothpick and let it set for about 5 minutes and attach. It will hold it real well but will still allow you to get it back off again if necessary. I also use it to weatherproof boxes for my antenna amplifiers. it'll seal it up tight but is much easier to remove than RTV silicone if you need to get back into the box (And rest assured eventually you will)

Other little tricks I like to use is that 'liquid electrical tape'. Say I tapped off the PCIe bus to get the unused USB port, after I've wired and tested it I put a dab of it over the solder joints not just to insulate the connection but to provide strain relief on the wires. You can also use it to tack down wiring or to 'pot' a PCB to weather proof it or insulate it from a metal case. Don't be afraid to use the stuff up, once you open the can it's only good for about 3-6 months and will start to gel but even then it's usable especially for potting PCB's using a small putty knife fashioned from a piece of plastic or trimmed off PCB material. A blob of the gelled stuff also makes a good adhesive for adding PCB's and I bet it would adhere those rubber feet too with just a little dab. It's also seems to be more UV resistant than either RTV or Seal-all.

I'm turning a AO531h into a tablet PC so I'm adding 4 switches to the screen bezel, wait until you see how I do that in a way that will almost look like it came from the factory that way .....

http://netbook2chartplotter.blogspot.com Don't forget to feed my albino catfish

longjohn412, Feb 22, 2010
  15. JoeCHecht

CZroe

Superglue works, but I had to use an X-acto knife to get it out of the screws when I recently had to taake apart my AAO again (after several months with them firmly attached). It didn't work so well before that because I had the sticky film on the bottom (had to remove and re-apply the superglue).

CZroe, Feb 27, 2010
  16. JoeCHecht

^Andy^

Superglue works very well if you only use two small dots at each end (away from the screw). Just be extra careful and make sure not to get any on the screw itself :cool:

^Andy^, Mar 10, 2010
  17. JoeCHecht

S Satyanarayana

Use double sided tissue tape. I bought it for Rs.15 only from local stationery shop for fixing the rubber strips to my HP Laptop. You may watch my video posted in YouTube. S Satyanarayana.

S Satyanarayana, Feb 20, 2021
  18. JoeCHecht

hamsourcream

One of the best substances you could use to reattach the rubber feet to your Aspire One could be a strong adhesive like E6000 or 3M Super Glue. You could also try using double-sided tape or rubber cement to attach them. Make sure to clean the area before applying any adhesive to ensure a strong bond.

hamsourcream, Apr 19, 2023
Ask a Question