Best Soldering Iron?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Aspire_OneMAn, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

I have two soldering irons, both are useless because the tips are too big and rather then getting a tiny drop of solder, you end up getting a massive blob and a bridge lol

Any know of any good soldering irons with a very fine tip in the UK

Basically i want to do all the mods on this website and need a good soldering iron.

Please also recommend other accessories e.g. type of solder, thanx in advance

Aspire_OneMAn, Oct 30, 2008
  2. Aspire_OneMAn

adrianaitken

If you don't want to go on eBay (search on soldering 1mm for example) then www.maplin.co.uk is as good a source as any.

adrianaitken, Oct 30, 2008
  3. Aspire_OneMAn

kohnen

If you're cheap, you can do this:

Take a paper clip, and wrap it several times around the tip of an iron. Then, bring it out to a point, and clip it off about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) from the tip of the iron. File the end of the paper clip to the sort of point you want.

Plug the iron in, heat it up, tin the clip, and then use it. This will let you work with surface mount boards.

kohnen, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Aspire_OneMAn

Blingin2Mingin

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 31, 2008
  5. Aspire_OneMAn

melhiore

I got this one and I'm really happy. There are no extra tips but it's not a problem to get them for very low money from Maplin. With this iron I have no problems even with really small contacts on AA1 mobo. Tip I have is spike like - very thin end... Personally I can recommend...

melhiore, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Aspire_OneMAn

barrymung

If you want the BEST iron then you'll be looking for an OKI (Formerly Metcal) beast!

However, the base models are well over £100 and I suspect you are probably looking for something a bit cheaper..aas others have said Maplin do a temperature controlled irom which is perfectly useable.

barrymung, Oct 31, 2008
  7. Aspire_OneMAn

Aspire_OneMAn

I leave that as a last resort, trying to save money usually ends me up spending more repairing damage :oops:
    i already got that one about a year ago, the tips that came with it are a bit too big, i didnt realise i could get smaller ones for it,

iv also got this one
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34956
    its portable but no so good, i guess il stick with my old one, and just purchase some new smaller tips

Thanx for the help everyone :D

Aspire_OneMAn, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question