Best Out Of The Box distro for AAO 110

Discussion in 'Linux' started by T_Hobbit, Aug 13, 2010.

1. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Hello

I've a AAO 110, the one with SSD. It comes with Linpus Lite, that is enough for me except that big problem with Live Update.
    I tried Ubuntu's UNR but it keeps on fail on boot so I went back to Linpus Lite. I dual boot with Puppy and keep on trying other distros but none seems to work right with this little fellow. I dont' want Windows on this one.
    This left me with 2 questions:
    1. I tried to find the current Live Update server but all the information I found was at least 6 months old. Anyone knows the correct Live Update server to use today?
    2. What's the best OFTB distro for the little AA0 110 with SSD?

Thanks in advance

T_Hobbit, Aug 13, 2010
  2. T_Hobbit

lklaus

Hi,
    I'm using the LXDE spin from fedora. Before, I was using easypeasy and then ubuntu unr. I'm quite happy with the lxde spin.

Klaus

lklaus, Aug 13, 2010
  3. T_Hobbit

kater21

Hello,
    Fedora 11,12 or 13?
    What is the advantage from fedora to the others? Speed?

Thanks
    Sandra

kater21, Aug 13, 2010
  4. T_Hobbit

lklaus

well, actually, I'm using F13, but that's a bit on the edge for "normal" users, probably. I'd stay with F12. I'm somewhat deeper into Linux, especially Fedora and RedHat.

Fedora is "just" another fine distribution, as is Ubuntu. These two I know best. But on the AAO the LXDE Fedora Spin works fine (BTW, as far as I know, there's also a Ubuntu LXDE version). I won't start a religious war which distribution is better, you might check fedora lxde spin as live version on a USB stick...

The lxde version (my experience Fedora, but Ubuntu lxde may well be the same) is where lean and uses resources well.

Klaus

lklaus, Aug 13, 2010
  5. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

UNR seems to have a new version... Maybe I'll try that again. Didn't like what happen last time...
    I'll try LXDE spin.
    And OpenSUSE that I want to try for some time.

Anyone knows if there's any Live Update Server out there? Working?

Thanks

T_Hobbit, Aug 16, 2010
  6. T_Hobbit

RockDoctor

Using development versions of both Ubuntu (10.10) and Fedora (14) LXDE variants on my AOA150. Biggest difference: Ubuntu (all variants) requires pciehp.pciehp.force=1 on the kernel line in grub.conf (grub.cfg? if using grub2) to enable the card readers if you boot with them empty.

RockDoctor, Aug 16, 2010
  7. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Never used that code line...
    My problem was that after some minutes the computer stop to respond, hardly I was able to reboot from OS, after reboot the SSD was gone from bios and I was unable to use the SSD for some time. After some time (days) the SSD come again and the process start all over again. Went back to Linpus and the problem is gone...
    Never undestood what happened... Temperature problem? Don't know... Ideas?

T_Hobbit, Aug 17, 2010
  8. T_Hobbit

RockDoctor

Sunspots? The price of crude oil?

Regardless of the problem's cause, if Linpus works and does what you need, then go for it. You can always play with live distros on a bootable flash drive to see if there's something more to your liking out there.

RockDoctor, Aug 17, 2010
  9. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Linpus used to be the one that runs everything OK but it doens't provide Updates and that's NOT OK!

Up and running Fedora LXDE spin. Everything seems to work fine so far, including Fn functions on screen and a better network manager than Linpus...
    Just need to find how to install flash and gxine codecs.
    @Klaus: Thanks for the tip!

T_Hobbit, Aug 19, 2010
  10. T_Hobbit

RockDoctor

For flash, go to Adobe's website http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP and grab the rpm for Linux
    For extra xine codecs, fedora offers xine-lib-extras, and rpmfusion offers xine-lib-extras-freeworld.

RockDoctor, Aug 19, 2010
  11. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Flash is working already. I had done that already: DL the flash rpm and rpm -Uvh it.
    The codec are the actual problem: I downloaded the w32codec rpm from xine but that didn't solved the problem. Will try your way ASAP.
    The battery tray applet has sound alarm option?

T_Hobbit, Aug 19, 2010
  12. T_Hobbit

lklaus

Hi,
    I wanted to state the same, just enable rpmfusion free and nonfree, there you get loads of codecs...

Klaus

lklaus, Aug 19, 2010
  13. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

And now for something more technical questions:
    Should acerfan be installed?
    Should SSD be tweaked?
    or other...?

T_Hobbit, Aug 20, 2010
  14. T_Hobbit

lklaus

I guess acerhdf does not do any harm.

I would check for the ssd tweaks, as the write speed is sloooowwww, so putting things in a ram disk helps a lot. I'm right now playing with the disk scheduler, but I'm not at conclusive results already...

Klaus

lklaus, Aug 20, 2010
  15. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Do you have a Aspire One with SSD like my 110? If so, what kind of tweaks have you done?
    I read about turning Journalism off and SSD tweaks on FD11 or 12... Wondering if it's needed for FD13 LXDE spin...

T_Hobbit, Aug 20, 2010
  16. T_Hobbit

lklaus

I did lots of experimentation (with the danger of crashes), so I did not turn off journalling, though I probably will do. Don't know whether this is very effective, though. Yum caches are in ram disk, /tmp is in ram disk, and probably I'll also put /var/log into ram disk again (I needed them persistently).
    Firefox tweaks are useful, also, so it doesn't write that many files.
    F13 LXDE is really light weight, which is a big plus, but everything not writing to disk is as big a plus also (and, honestly, I don't care for the live of the ssd, as I guess this will not be the problem)

Klaus
    (and yes, I do have a AAO110 with SSD)

lklaus, Aug 20, 2010
  17. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Do you use swap partition? If not, do you notice a big diference?

T_Hobbit, Aug 20, 2010
  18. T_Hobbit

lklaus

OH yes, I do. I have swappiness set to 1, at times it is used, but the main reason is I want to hibernate. But beware, there's a memory corruption bug in the kernel while hibernating, but it does not manifest very often (and is not too bad if it does, a reboot is required).

lklaus, Aug 20, 2010
  19. T_Hobbit

T_Hobbit

Set to 1? What that means (block size?)? How do you do that? How big is your swap disk?

T_Hobbit, Aug 20, 2010
  20. T_Hobbit

lklaus

Sorry, for being dense. In /etc/sysctl.conf, add a line stating
    vm.swappiness = 1
    then do a
    sysctl -p
    (as root)
    I used the default from Fedora, which made it 900MB (interestingly, don't know why they use 900MB...)

Klaus

swappiness 1 means swap as little as possible, btw. The higher, the more programs get swapped out in favor of file system buffers.

lklaus, Aug 20, 2010
Ask a Question