Best laptop and laptop specs for running Microsoft Access

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by meeka, Jan 25, 2021.

1. meeka

meeka

Hi,

I want to invest in a laptop for running Microsoft Access and Excel applications. Within Access I will be running queries on large data tables, and within Excel I would be working with large, complex files.

I was hoping to get advice on the most ideal laptop specs to seek (not minimal specs, but optimal specs). I know the laptop would need a lot of storage space.

I have worked with large Access and Excel files on work computers in the past (I am presently unemployed), but I never paid addition to those computers' specs because if I ran into issues (space, slowness) I would reach out to IT and they'd troubleshoot my issues for me.

The laptop's only function will be working in these two applications. I am not planning to use it recreationally (I already own a MacBook Pro for all other purposes (and have no interest in getting MS Access/Excel to run on my MacBook Pro)).

Unless there are new laptops that are price competitive with older laptop models, I am fine going the preowned/refurbished route. I want to spend as little as possible on the laptop, but realize space and speed do not come cheap so am willing to invest whatever is necessary to optimize those 2 factors.

I had a Dell years ago and it was awful. My work laptops have always been HP, and seemed to perform adequately (especially compared to my Dell). Aside from Dell and HP, I am not familiar with other PC laptop brands. I am hopeful to find something with a decent seller's warranty. I did go online to research my question to you in this forum, but got overwhelmed.

If anyone has a suggestion can you please let me know the make, model, year(s), and specs you would recommend?

If you can recommend a quality seller/reseller that has the laptop(s) you recommend, can you provide a link to their merchandise?

Last question, do you know if it's possible to have both Access 2003 and the newest Access version on a laptop at the same time? My experience is working with Access 2003. During employed times my company upgraded to a newer version of MS Office which had 2010 Access, and having 2 versions of Access on the computers corrupted the Access 2003 databases we had been working with. I think the reason was people were working within both versions at the same time instead of keeping them mutually exclusive, but we ended up having to deinstall the newer version of Access to salvage our 2003 Access files (it was such a mess).

Thank you! I am so appreciative of these online forums I find them invaluable. It's nice that people who understand IT dedicate their time to helping those of us who do not know much.

meeka, Jan 25, 2021
  2. meeka

andrewflintoff

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 – Best Laptop with Microsoft Office.
    Dell XPS 13 (9370) – Best Laptop for Word Documents and Internet.
    Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7567) – Best Laptop for All-Around Use.
    Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-576-392H) Laptop – Best Inexpensive Laptop for Microsoft Office.

andrewflintoff, Mar 8, 2021
  3. meeka

Shweta Singh

Best business laptops in 2022 are –

• Dell. XPS 15 OLED

• MacBook. Pro 14-inch

• MacBook. Pro 13-inch

• HP. Elite Dragonfly G2.

• Microsoft. Surface Laptop 4.

• Lenovo. ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6.

• Dell. XPS 13 (Late 2020)

• Lenovo. ThinkBook 14S Yoga.