Best distro for gaming out of the box?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gr3y, May 18, 2009.

1. Gr3y

Gr3y

I've just switched from Ubuntu 8.10 over to Sidux, and while I'm pretty happy with it over all, I'm still not able to get WINE to run games properly.
    WOW stutters and chugs, and will restart x if I try to change the graphics. While this is an improvement over Ubuntu it's still not a satisfactory experience.

What's worse, is that now that I've got all of my software required for my job running in virtualbox I see no reason to have to dual boot.

So AAO community I have a question: which distro will give me the best gaming experience right out of the box? I just want to be able to run WoW, NWN, Morrowind, and some old RPGs (probably in DOS box). BF1942 would be nice, but I have a Xbox360 for my newer/more shiny games.

Please let me know which distro you're running and what tweaks you had to make to get 3d working. I wouldn't mind a few hours of work to get everything going the way it should. But if it's a few hours of work for sub-par results, I'm either going to give up the pipe dream or reinstall a windows partition.

Thanks.

Gr3y, May 18, 2009
  2. Gr3y

NicePics13

Start with http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne as you're running a Debian based distro. Further reading via links to Ubuntu/Arch/etc wikis at the bottom.
    The intel graphics drivers are migrating from EXA acc. to UXA (you can enable it in Ubuntu 9.04) so the speed won't be optimal for now, and remember that the integrated intel chipset will NEVER amaze you with its 3D capabilities (DX8 level).
    Morrowind? Sure, with medium quality settings and pixel shading turned off.

NicePics13, May 31, 2009
Ask a Question