Beep (like when USB is disconnected) then BSOD

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by reinauerj, Jul 12, 2010.

1. reinauerj

reinauerj

Recently my Aspire one started to make the hardware disconnect beep if I barely moved it. Then it will make the connect beep when I move it again. It seems like there's a loose connection in there somewhere. IF it happens too many times I get the blue screen of death. The keyboard and touchpad seem to be working, so I'm not sure what's loose. Any ideas?

reinauerj, Jul 12, 2010
  2. reinauerj

Swarvey Moderator

There's only 3 components that could really cause this behaviour. The WiFi and the webcam are two, but seeing as they're USB based devices, the chances of them causing a crash are pretty low, unless the drivers for them are corrupted. That just leaves the hard drive or SSD. If either of these disconnect, even temporarily, Windows will crash. And considering they should be bolted in pretty tight, my guess is they've developed faults or are wearing out.

What is the code on the BSOD screen?
    Try going into safe mode, disabling the webcam, wifi, bluetooth, modem, LAN, etc in device manager, reboot into normal mode and see if it makes a difference

Swarvey, Jul 12, 2010
  3. reinauerj

reinauerj

BSOD says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EUAL"

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0X00000000, 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X804E1C1C18

reinauerj, Jul 13, 2010
  4. reinauerj

Swarvey Moderator

Here's what Micro$oft have to say about the error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
    Typical "Update Windows" response.

If that's the only code your getting, and the machine is getting these BSOD's as a result of physically moving the machine, the next thing I'd be trying is physically cleaning the contacts on the RAM.

Swarvey, Jul 13, 2010
  5. reinauerj

reinauerj

There's a thought. It seems like whatever it is is toward the front left of the machine (as in to the left of the mouse pad). I need to add memory anyway. I looked at doing it a while back, but the instructions I saw on the net didn't look simple. At the time I decided maybe I would just put it off. Thanks.

reinauerj, Jul 14, 2010
  6. reinauerj

Swarvey Moderator

My above post about cleaning RAM means only cleaning the contacts on a RAM chip if you have one installed (from factory or not). So long as it's a user-servicable chip. I definately don't mean disassembling the machine and cleaning the contacts on RAM chips soldered to the board. Just to make that clear. Good luck.

Swarvey, Jul 14, 2010
  7. reinauerj

Spank Everest

How did this work our for you?

I've just started experiencing the same problem. The only difference is that it's telling me it's the webcam was disconnected and that I should change ports to a HI-SPEED USB Device.

I figured it was a faulty connection with the webcam and, to be honest, I don't even use the webcam so I'd be happy to just disconnect it completely.

Spank Everest, Aug 21, 2010
Ask a Question