battery runtime - hacked in ZIF hdd vs. XP/120GB

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by hansbehrends, Aug 30, 2008.

1. hansbehrends

hansbehrends

I am hoping that this is the most appropriate section to ask this question.
    I am thinking of buying a One, but the greatest deciding factor is battery life. Yes, I would actually
    go to the effort of opening the unit, if there is significant battery gain ...
    there seem to be plenty of people who put in an "Ipod style" hdd into their AA1's (the pre-150 models)
    so they could actually run XP and carry all their stuff around.
    I haven't seen any comparisons for battery life, SSD for hdd units versus the 2.5" hdd in the 150 models. Is there any significant
    difference at all? The ZIF drive being smaller?
    Or possibly, the CF-for-ZIF mod is the best possible option for better battery life... but the mod is kind of scary, and for the price of the 8GB 266x or 300x
    you can get a much bigger ZIF hard disk drive.
    Damn I should just wait for the 6-cell battery version of the one.

hansbehrends, Aug 30, 2008
  2. hansbehrends

jackluo923

Right. AAO 150 with 1GB ram, windows xp home, 120GB hdd last up to 7 hours of web surfing and typing with wifi on, screen brightness at 50%.

jackluo923, Aug 30, 2008
  3. hansbehrends

Grinder

That's about the same runtime as me. I think if I needed to squeeze a little more out of it I'll play my movies from the SD card to reduce current draw from the HDD.... regardless I should be able to watch multiple movies on cross country flights.... so much easier to use on the plane than my Asus G2S 17" lappy :) I had to wait about a month to get the 6-cell version but it was definately worth the wait and the 120Gb HDD is really handy too. As soon as I can boot from the SD slot I'll be thrilled.

Grinder, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question