Battery/Power issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by DarrenCax, Sep 18, 2010.

1. DarrenCax

DarrenCax

Hi everyone. Just signed up. I'm a once-Apsire One owner but ended up trading in for something a little bigger (the tiny keyboard really bothered my hands) However...I'm a computer technician with a Aspire One in for service that's got me a little puzzled...

The computer's an Aspire One 110-1588. Basically it came in because it would turn off randomly. Thus far I've yet to see it power down under various stress tests and the like. However, the battery is not charging. Under Windows or Linux it's status is "unknown". The charge light will remain solid at times and slowly blinking other times.

One thing that kind of bugs me, the light starts to illuminate as soon as it's plugged in, the fades back off. It does this regardless if it's got the battery in or not. This doesn't seem like something that it normally should do, but I'm not quite as familiar with this laptop.

I'm beginning to lean towards hardware/motherboard issues, but I don't want to rule out the battery is simply bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DarrenCax, Sep 18, 2010
  2. DarrenCax

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds to me like either the battery or the charger is cactus. But you've said that the machine runs fine with the charger, so tells me that the battery's buggered. Any idea how old the battery is? I've been running a 5,200mah in mine for about two years and it's started severely degrading over the last few months. Replacing it next week with a 12 cell 10,400mah that comes with a three yr warranty.

However the completely random shut downs were also exhibited by my machine under Windows 7 until such time as I updated to the latest BIOS. As far as I'm aware, this is bug only occurrs in Windows 7.

Swarvey, Sep 19, 2010
  3. DarrenCax

madd0ct0r

at the OP, i know it's stupid, but have you checked the battery is clipped in properly? left mine loose once and it would do that when knocked.

edited to remove my own issue.

madd0ct0r, Sep 21, 2010
  4. DarrenCax

Joss Rand

I had a similar problem with mine (A150L). For more than two years, it was OK, and in fact in powersave I decided that when at 5%, the computer shutted down. I used the computer only on weekends, and in fact when using with AC adaptor the battery was removed.

One day, after some hours in suspend mode, the battery discharged truly fast. I charged it, just to see autonomy was now much lower. With recently installed Maverick Meerkat, I've a battery capacity of 43.5% -just one hour of autonomy-.

Joss Rand, Oct 12, 2010
  5. DarrenCax

bryan raymundo

HELP! my aspire one zg5 model or known as A150 wont turn on even a flashhit wont work when i plug in the battery and the AAC adaptor the led lights just blink ones , it shows that the electricity runs on the board, but when i turn on the power, the power led wont even light and i think its still off cause nothing happen if you have better suggestions hope to receive a message here or on my e-mail here's my e-add
    [email protected]
    tnx so much :oops:

bryan raymundo, Nov 12, 2010
  6. DarrenCax

frnk_penny

My wife's AA1 has just started to have a power problem - from time to time it will not charge, even though it is connected to a good power supply (3 different ones have been tried).

Then, without anything being changed, it starts to charge!

I suspected that it must be an internal problem, but it begins to charge without any movement of the computer, cable, or anything.

Has anyone else seen such a problem, and if so, any advice?

The AA1 is an early model, no hard disk - which is what we want because the low weight is essential for us.

Operating system is Linpus.

frnk_penny, Nov 30, 2010
Ask a Question