battery issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by samuraisam, Oct 12, 2008.

1. samuraisam

samuraisam

I have the linux 8gb SSD acer aspire one model with the standard 3 cell battery;
    problem is on windows it detects my battery as being empty, and goes into standby.

The battery is not empty, I can start it up and use the laptop again for quite some time before it decides that it is dead again, then the same thing over and over.

any ideas?

samuraisam, Oct 12, 2008
  2. samuraisam

nchntr

You have installed Windows (XP?) on your AA1 that came with linux? Whats your BIOS revision?

nchntr, Oct 12, 2008
  3. samuraisam

samuraisam

Windows XP SP 2
    and BIOS revision 3305

The battery is a UM08A31

I seriously doubt the battery is physically at fault, it just seems windows lets its value jump up and down-- for instance I can see it in the taskbar switch to an empty battery with red cross symbol (indicating deadness) then after a minute or so it'll flick back to being 'full'

I suppose I could turn off automatic standby etc but this hardly seems ideal.

For instance, right now as it is plugged in AC power and has been for over 12 hours, it just jumped down to 8% capacity and then flicked back up, I'm left with a yellow exclamation mark in the taskbar that when mouse-overed indicates 'low battery'; I'm a tad worried the laptop might be 'overcharging' the battery because of this.

To add to this issue; my laptop will not boot after shutting down/restarting
    I have to reflash/reset the BIOS every single time.

samuraisam, Oct 12, 2008
  4. samuraisam

nchntr

i didnt have that problem with BIOS 3114 with XP, Nor Vista. Power meter and alerts worked just fine. My BIOS crashed due to hibernation issue. I fixed with the 3.304 and tutorial. I used the 3.304 files from ACER's web site NOT the 3.305 in the tutorial. I havent seen that 3.305 are official or from ACER so i avoided like a STD. Recovered just fine, havent had (tried) the low battery hibernation to see if that problem is still there, but Battery power meter works just fine in Vista still. 2 hours reported on full battery.. Counts down usage and time just fine till 5% then i plug in.

nchntr, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question