Battery issues in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dagon^, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Dagon^

Dagon^

Acer Aspire One A150

Okay, here's the deal. Until I started upgrading from Hardy -> Jaunty -> Karmic my battery has been acting weird.
    It's not until Ubuntu is booted and you log in that the battery is acting crazy.

Everything worked like a charm i Hardy until a month ago. I just updated to... stay up-to-date.

The thing is; My battery isn't charging, gnome-power-manager (devkit too) is showing me false information and the indicator (the orange led) is just flashing.

If you choose to look at the "power history" it just claims that it doesn't know what kind of battery and it knows that the AC power is plugged in but isn't sure(?!).

Is somebody else experiencing this? I'd hate to send it away for repairment already..

Thanks in advance!

Dagon^, Nov 10, 2009
  2. Dagon^

libssd

I have a D150 with 9.04 on the HDD and 9.10 on an 8gb SD memory card. No battery issues when booting from either, which leads me to wonder if you have a bad battery. Can you plug the battery into a different Acer? Do you have a spare battery? I have seen the stock 3-cell battery go bad without warning; if the machine is still under warranty, I believe they should replace the battery at no charge. If you decide to shop for a spare, look for a 6-cell with 5200 mAh rather than 4400 mAh capacity. My own personal bias is that a 9-cell adds too much bulk. Although I have both 3 and 6-cell batteries, I confess that for short term use, I much prefer the 3-cell because the machine is so much lighter and sleeker.

If you click on the battery icon, then click on Laptop Battery, you should see fairly detailed information about the battery and its state of health. Alternatively, right-click, then choose Power History, and click Laptop Battery in the left pane; same basic information, different presentation.

libssd, Nov 10, 2009
  3. Dagon^

Dagon^

Thank you for taking time to answer me.
    I think it's still under warranty so maybe I'll have to pay a visit to the store where I bought it.

I've had problems with another computer that I bought at the same store. Same problem actually... :roll:

Dagon^, Nov 10, 2009
  4. Dagon^

Karloe

what BIOS-version are you using?

I have the A0A-110 (ZG5) and recently had the same problem, flashing to the newest BIOS version solved my problem.
    After flashing the battery indicator stopped flashing and UNR-karmic battery tool showed normal values again.

Karloe, Nov 10, 2009
  5. Dagon^

Dagon^

I've never flashed a BIOS before but some time has got to be the first, hehe :lol:
    Do you have a link for a guide or something that points me in the right direction?

Dagon^, Nov 10, 2009
  6. Dagon^

Karloe

macles has a small http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html guide ( a search here would have told you the same) and on the acer website you can find the latest BIOS.

If you managed to use unetbootin to switch to a different OS with a Usb-stick you're half way there :D

Karloe, Nov 10, 2009
  7. Dagon^

Dagon^

Cool. Thanks a lot my friend :D
    Will report back when I've flashed the BIOS.

Dagon^, Nov 10, 2009
Ask a Question