Battery charge issue?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by brachiopod, Sep 28, 2008.

1. brachiopod

brachiopod

Had my first aspire one hardware issue today. I was using the machine, battery was mostly charged. Then I hit the hibernate button, and I may have also closed the screen before it was done (oops). Came back a few hours later and the machine would not turn on, no lights nothing. Put it on the charger and the orange light would come on for a second then fade and go out, and the machine would not run. Removed the battery and the machine would run off the charger. Put the battery on and off a few times, and plugged the in a few times and eventually the orange charge light is staying on now; I assume that it is charging.

Not sure what happened, but the machine must have not shut down and must have drained the battery completely; even past the normal depleted level. Putting the bat on and off and plugging the charger in and out must have gotten enough charge into the battery that the charging circuit can now sense that it is present and will charge it.

brachiopod, Sep 28, 2008
  2. brachiopod

Mascot

Did you find a solution to this issue? Girlfriend's AA1 worked fine last night. She plugged in the charger and went to bed. This morning the charge light was blinking orange and it would not turn on. After removing the charger it now just turns on for a second before fading away whenever it's plugged in again.

I'll probably try the BIOS recovery routine later. Can't think of anything else to attempt.

Edit: Nevermind. I turned the computer on without battery and that worked ok on the second attempt. I turned it off again, unplugged power cord, inserted and locked battery, and while it did do the same "light come on and fade away" thing when I plugged in the power cord, it did start up. In the middle of the boot-up the battery light came on as normal.

I guess the battery had somehow managed to drain itself to the very edge of its low-voltage threshold.

Mascot, Dec 2, 2008
Ask a Question