Backspace key detached, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by feinstei, Nov 24, 2008.

1. feinstei

feinstei

Hi,
    I stupidly "broke off" the backspace key on my Acer One. The plastic isn't broken, but it seems that you have to insert several "pins" and holes in order to get it back on. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks of how to get the backspace key reattached? Thanks for any ideas!

Fred E.

feinstei, Nov 24, 2008
  2. feinstei

kohnen

Try not to make any mistakes?

kohnen, Nov 25, 2008
  3. feinstei

cbracer1

I detached, and broke my backspace key when upgrading my RAM, WiFi, and Hard Drive. Make sure that the key still has the little plastic pin parts on the end of the hinge mechanism that go in the loops on the keyboard. If one or both are missing you are screwed. Open the hinge and place it over the the rubber knob on the keyboard. The bottom part of the hinge has a slot that hooks into the metal flap below the two loops. Gently press down and slide the key up to try to catch the flap into the hinge. You have to be very gentle or you will break off one of the pins like I did. If you have broken one of the pins do not try supergluing the button to the rubber knob as I did as it will not work. It might work if you remove the plastic hinge from the button, but I can't say for sure and it will definitely be wobbly without the hinge. The rubber knob by itself works fine if you press it. But if you're a perfectionist like me you'll probably be ordering a new keyboard of eBay. They are about $40 shipped from Hong Kong. Make sure you order the correct format as they have US, Italian, Canadian/French versions. Hope this helps.

cbracer1, Nov 25, 2008
  4. feinstei

Metal Mickey

I have a related problem with one of the keys not working properly. The N key works fine if I hit it square on, but if I am typing quickly and hit it on the right hand side, it doesn't register a key stroke. I am not to sure what the warranty department would say about such faults. There is clearly a difference between a faulty key and a key that has been broken off. Whilst it is a nuisance, I don't want to send the whole thing in for repair.

:(

Metal Mickey, Feb 5, 2009
  5. feinstei

ChrisH

Fred did you get this working ?

My step daughter "discovered" her caps lock key "had fallen off in the box" this morning. After a bit of fiddling I gave up and looked on here.

The instructions given are good.

I took off the black bits of the back of the key. Opened up the hinge bit and slipped it over the little tongue on the front of the black nipple of the key area. Once this is slipped in, then I carefully ( after reading about how delicate they are ) pushed the pins into the top of the keyboard. I found it easy to clip them under the small metal loops with my thumbnail. Once the black bits are in okay, the key top sort of slides in have a look at the underside and you will see the front is free moving under a little edge and the top of the key clips into the little black hinge thing. I sort of move it up and them gently pressed down to get the key to engage.

I hope that helps a little more, its a little fiddly, but a bit cheaper and easier than ordering a new one I guess :)

Good luck

c

ChrisH, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question