Audio sound-in solutions for Snow Leopard and iChat

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by singlemaltscotch, Sep 22, 2009.

1. singlemaltscotch

singlemaltscotch

I have sound out working with voodooHDA, both speakers and autoswitch/headphone jack.
    I would like to get sound in for iChat. Right now, I don't have a working sound in. My bluetooth headset used to work in leopard, doesn't work in Snow Leopard.

Anyone get sound in working in Snow Leopard and how? Anyone using a usb audio dongle that works? Working with iChat?

singlemaltscotch, Sep 22, 2009
  2. singlemaltscotch

gnubeard

I have a patched VoodooHDA which works w/ audio in. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8, not SL - so I can't confirm exactly if this will work for you. I don't think my actual kext will work for you since you're using SL. Also, you haven't given your AAO model info, so that might be an issue as well (I'm using a ZG5). BUT, the issue I had w/ Audio input on my 10.5.8 install was in the Voodoo driver code, so I imagine the same is happening for you since you're probably using an unpatched VoodooHDA.

So, here is what you need to do.. first, get Xcode and install it. Then get the source for the VoodooHDA kext. Open up the VoodooHDA.xcodeproj file (Xcode will launch). Now navigate on the left hand side and find the Tables.c source file.

Scroll down through Tables.c and find the line that reads:

Code:
    const UInt16 gMixerDefaults[SOUND_MIXER_NRDEVICES] = {
    That begins the section with all the default settings for the soundcard mixer. Here is what my section looks like:

Code:
    const UInt16 gMixerDefaults[SOUND_MIXER_NRDEVICES] = {
    	75,		// SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME 75
    	0,		// SOUND_MIXER_BASS
    	0,		// SOUND_MIXER_TREBLE
    	0,	// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_SYNTH
    	90,	// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_PCM 90
    	90,	// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_SPEAKER 90
    	15,		// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_LINE
    	30,		// SOUND_MIXER_MIC 10
    	30,	// SOUND_MIXER_CD 90
    	15,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_IMIX 20
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_ALTPCM
    	15,		// SOUND_MIXER_RECLEV 20
    	1,		// SOUND_MIXER_IGAIN
    	5,		// SOUND_MIXER_OGAIN 1
    	15,		// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_LINE1
    	15,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_LINE2
    	15,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_LINE3
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_DIGITAL1
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_DIGITAL2
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_DIGITAL3
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_PHONEIN
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_PHONEOUT
    	0,		// SOUND_MIXER_VIDEO
    	0,		// [?] SOUND_MIXER_RADIO
    	0		// (was 75) SOUND_MIXER_MONITOR
    };

Change the values in your Tables.c to match mine. You may need to tweak the values a little bit up or down, depending on your preferences. My settings are tweaked for running an electric guitar into the external input, but my internal mic works too so you should be OK.

Now go back to the left side and expand the "Targets" tab. Click on FloatSupport and then build it (Build/Build on the menus). Then do the same for VoodooHDA.

Ok, so we're getting close.. Now open a Terminal, and get a root prompt (sudo bash should work). Make sure you're not running any programs which use sound, and unload your current kext:

kextunload /System/Libraries/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

Do that a few times until it successfully unloads, if needed.

Now cd into the build/Debug directory in the voodoo source dir. Type:

chown -R root:wheel VoodooHDA.kext

kextload VoodooHDA.kext

(you might need to repeat the load a few times as well).

Now you're using your newly made VoodooHDA.kext! Try iChat / whatever. If it works, delete the old VoodooHDA.kext from S/L/E and install the new one. You're done!

If it didn't work, unload the kext you just loaded (kextunload VoodooHDA.kext) - then try changing some more values in Tables.c, rebuild and try again. 0's mean muted so you can start by changing them to small values (between 1-5) here or there to find the right one for your input.

If all this sounds too scary, you'll have to wait until the VoodooHDA guys get the muting API working so that you can do all this through a GUI mixer app instead.

How is Snow Leopard working for you otherwise?

gnubeard, Oct 24, 2009
  3. singlemaltscotch

jeffers

If you get it working in SL, could you share the kext?

jeffers, Oct 24, 2009
Ask a Question