Audio recording/editing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by clanduncan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. clanduncan

clanduncan

Hi, as a newbie I'm just getting to grips with Linpus Lite, and so far so good. One of the things I want to do with this AA1 is use my usb1 based external Creative sound card. This worked fine in WinXP, where it was marked as a bog-standard usb-audio device, and I managed fine with Nero's wave editor.

If I can use it on this AA1 device I'll carry on recording and editing my vinyl collection to mp3. So any suggestions about using the USB device and getting suitable sound-editing software would be greatly appreciated.

clanduncan, Nov 3, 2008
  2. clanduncan

fritzm

I don't have an external sound card to try, so I can't help you with that part, but Audacity is wonderful for working with sound. It will let you record, edit and save to many formats, including wav and mp3. It runs very well on Windows too, so you could give Nero the boot and use the same program on both Linux and Windows. I have used both Audacity and Nero Wave editor and Audacity was much more stable and I prefer its interface.

Fritz

fritzm, Nov 3, 2008
  3. clanduncan

palingenesis

agreed, audacity is great.

palingenesis, Nov 3, 2008
  4. clanduncan

clanduncan

Thanks all. I've gotten Audacity, and on the face of it it seems like a great little programme for a great little machine. Now I just have to get my USB audio device working, while hooked up to my music system! And I'll be away.
    Now to check the hardware section of the forum . . .

clanduncan, Nov 4, 2008
  5. clanduncan

clanduncan

It's proving extremely frustrating getting my AAone to recognise my external USB audio device at all. It's a pretty simple Creative USB soundcard, aimed at hooking up to a hi-fi system with simple two-channel (stereo) lines each way in/out, plus digital optical the same.

I've looked at my AAone and it seems to have the ALSA sound/utilities stuff it's supposed to have. Audacity even shows ALSA 2/4/5.1 items etc, etc. There is just no recognition of the device itself at all in any other location/set-up that I've been able to see, and so far I can't find an option to select it as a default sound device anywhere. :evil:

This is becoming a stumbling block to using the AAone, as it was one of my intended main uses. In all other respects, it's great, and I like it very much. I really don't want to consider going the WinXP route unless there's no alternative. Please bear in mind that I'm a Linux noobie, and need step by step instructions (no point in telling me to 'compile' something, as I wouldn't have a clue!) If I get it wrong, then I'd just have to restore the machine to default and start again.

Once again, thanks in advance for any advice out there.

clanduncan, Nov 5, 2008
  6. clanduncan

cpchan

This is because Linpus only includes the ALSA driver for the on board sound chip. You need the usb-audio module. Follow one of the methods mentioned in this thread:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4800&start=0

cpchan, Nov 5, 2008
  7. clanduncan

clanduncan

I followed the link & thread above, thanks hugely CPCHAN for the tip. The technique mentioned there works almost perfectly, if limited in action. It seems you can run Audacity from the terminal and it all works perfictly (thanks Blackhawk & Phil), but run from the desktop (even in advanced mode) and it still can't detect the usb external audio device.
    Does anyone here know how to write/setup a script, so that when Audacity is launched it runs from a terminal and not the desktop?

clanduncan, Nov 5, 2008
  8. clanduncan

eternal-balance

Hi! I am a newbie and I wanna have a recording program to record my music. I have no idea how to install this program on my laptop. Can anybody guide me? I downloaded it and now I don't know what to do. Thank you for your time. Jah bless!

eternal-balance, Nov 5, 2008
Ask a Question