Audio recorder? What software screws up Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MobileMan, Dec 31, 2008.

1. MobileMan

MobileMan

Kiev: What are fedora programs or software updates that screw up the Linpus??? Can one do most Package installer software updates with confidence? What are some big good updates that cause no hassles. Got the new Skype off Aspire site (not stripped down efficient programs are they-Firefox3 now 41meg?) but haven't installed it, and the Yahoo messenger doesn't find my big contact+phone list and has no import function. Need VOIP and it ain't working on Yahoo (got an orig Fedora link?)- Pidgen causes huge hassles apparently. Installed Gyachi, but getting no voice on that either. Have no audio recorder program + when I record a video with the camera, there is no sound. Is that normal? Sounds plays OK on web or mp3s. They ship a machine with a microphone and no sound recorder? What is good program for that, that lets you do small wmas and mp3? And realplayer- saw something for rp11. Also wanted AV to keep Windows viruses off of files for my other computers or friends- Clam or Fprot or AVG work OK on this- download link? Have a Turion 64 and 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 so couldn't get compatible software often. Got Aspire in Ukraine and love it- just wish they made the battery run 5 hrs- my ancient NEC MobilePro 790 runs 7 hrs and has a touchscreen (man would that be nice on this), infrared, modem (this needs that- that would make it much more universal-what's some tiny compatible one).

OK, what is the exact way to change the logon security parameters, since it doesn't ask me for a password except after screensaver. I know something about Linux, and if the password setup is all wrong, there is so security for the kernal and viruses (which do exist for linux) can get in. But most instructions in one of the beginner panels (guy who said writers of code should be shot- Linux prof looked at it for 10 seconds and said guy was right) is geek to me, so need very exact instructions. May have done it, but whats Fedora repository update command? Thanks much, all you wizards, and a Happy New year from New Europe.

Mike H Skype: mkham119 or Yahoo: mkham6 if you want to talk

MobileMan, Dec 31, 2008
  2. MobileMan

MobileMan

Bad Microphone -Good Audio Software?

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS- I've spent days reading these posts?
    Apparently my internal microphone is bad- the external one works OK, though trying to figure out what the capture and mic boost duplicate controls of mic and speaker mean is difficult- capture is the higher function, and the i- or e- input source seems to make no difference.

Installed new Aspire Skype and it works- my Aspire is now an international phone... but I have to plug in external mike. After though, my sleep (suspend) buttons Fn-F4 doesn't work, though it does from the bottom right button. Also did Macles? installation of VLC- went OK though haven't got the icon displaying. Wish I could find faster stripped down programs- don't need all the junk on realplayer, for example. What is good music player program like WINAMP (Rhythm Box?), the Media Master player is terrible- no progress bar, full screen only. Does Firefox 3 run much slower?

what is a decent Linpus audio recorder? All I can find in settigs or advanced menu is playback, recording,options w Mic Boost and Capture controls (both with mic and speaker- how do you capture a speaker?). I've already loaded my data and a bit of software on it, so don't want to bring it back (+ won't), but having to mess with an external mike is a huge inconvenience. Even with the external mike, though, I couldn't get sound with the webcam- is that normal?

On another note I was playing with the video player to see which was best and in the Mplayer, a white audio slider appeared and got turned way down to 3 of 10 in a flash, then disappeared, since then the audio is quieter on everything

Yeah, if I scream into mike it from 2 inches, people can hear something on Skype, but I have no other program to directly check it. The Fedora repositories list no audio or sound recorder (though there are a couple of editors). Almost installed a host of sound programs: all the ALSA and Pulse-Audio ones, a couple of mixers, gstream plug-ins, totem movie player. But really want advice on what is good from Linux guru.

Has anyone taken their bad mike machine apart and checked the wires- it really could be simple as a loose plug that takes second to fix? Do that NOW and report back, so I don't rip my machine apart for nothing. Think I have the same sound card Intel 82801G (iich7Family)... HD Audio Controller REALTEK Alc 662G/268 as you Windows people. If one could buy a button mike, just a 1/4" thick mike on a jack, that could stay plugged in all the time, this wouldn't be such a big issue. But without the built in mike, it's utility as a PHONE or communicator is greatly diminished.

MobileMan, Jan 1, 2009
Ask a Question