ATHEROS NETWORK wireless ADAPTER problem on aspire one.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jfanghanel, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jfanghanel

jfanghanel

I have had my aspire one for 2 weeks. I notice that after 3 to 4 hours of operation, all of a sudden, the ATHEROS wireless device seems to all of a sudden start failing. Then after 2 minutes, it SHUTS DOWN!. It appears that Acer has a problem with the network wireless adapter.
    From what I have been reading on the net, Acer, does not acknowledge the problem but it seems to me that it the Atheros Wireless adapter, that is defective.
    Why do I make that conclusion?. I go to the control panel and I go to system and I go to Hardware and Hardware device manager.
    THE ATHEROS WIRELESS DEVICE, SHUTS DOWN TOTALLY AND DOES NOT EVEN APPEAR ON THE LIST OF HARDWARE DEVICES!!!!.
    Try this, anyone. Leave your wireless adapter working for about 3 to 4 hours, and then , it will fail!. Really, it's true!.

In my particular case, if I turn off the machine and leave it to rest for about 10 minutes, and power it back on, the Atheros wireless adapter, seems to be coming back to life again.

Can anyone tell me, what legal rights I have with acer. I just bought my machine 2 weeks ago. I think that it is within warranty, right?.

jfanghanel, Nov 29, 2008
  2. jfanghanel

snowbound

I have no answers regarding this problem but I would like to confirm that my unit also has this exact same problem. I have also noticed that the page-loads are somewhat slower than any other wireless laptops on my home network. I am unsure if these two problems are related but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

snowbound, Nov 29, 2008
  3. jfanghanel

jimmyclackers

The same problem just happened for me. Wireless device doesn't show up in device manager...

*edit*
    After reading another thread, http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7014, going to the Device Manager, at the top "Action" -> Scan for hardware Changes. Wireless adapter showed up again and seems to be working fine now.

jimmyclackers, Nov 29, 2008
  4. jfanghanel

tomc

When I leave my laptop on and don't do anything, after a couple hours, it loses it's wireless network connection. The device then "disapears". A shutdown and then restart fixes the problem, but just a restart does not. Initially I thought that it was some standby option, but I have turned all standby stuff off. There is some power saving settings for the device that could be causing the problem (I have turned this off), but I need to investigate further. Glad to see that I am not the only person with this problem.

tomc, Dec 30, 2008
  5. jfanghanel

UnforgiveN

I'm having the same problem. I have the AAO-A110L with the Linpus Lite, but in advanced mode... Anyone has found any solutions ? This happened after I changed the desktop from the Acer-made to the Linpus-made one, I really don't want to restore my ONE with the recovery disk, because I made many customizations on the theme I'm using (nothing fancy, but it fits me exactly as I want it).

P.S. Happy new year everyone... :)

UnforgiveN, Jan 1, 2009
  6. jfanghanel

absorber1

if I leave computer on and if it goes to sleep , when I start using it again , my wireless speed is GREATLY reduced , to about 10 % of normal , unless I reboot :(

absorber1, Jan 1, 2009
  7. jfanghanel

Slack

I *apparently* also had this happen.

I had installed XP pro on my wife's AA1. And the wireless adapter disappeared from windows network connections and device manager.

You can see my original post.
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9059
    When the machine was in this state the wifi LEDs were dead. And no amount of fiddling with the wifi switch would bring it to life.

In any case, it returned after I powered down. This morning I checked her machine after being on for 2 days. Network card was working fine. So I don't get it.

Slack, Jan 3, 2009
  8. jfanghanel

maltloaf

my card fell over only once but most of the time it was fine. I had an apple mini pcie card (broadcom chipset) lying about so i put that in as it works natively with osx and also decent drivers for winxp/vista - no more wireless problems for me !

maltloaf, Jan 3, 2009
  9. jfanghanel

UnforgiveN

After I updated the BIOS from the original (3119 i think) to 3308, the WiFi does not disappear anymore, and it is working fine :)

UnforgiveN, Jan 4, 2009
  10. jfanghanel

meng

No such problems for me, running Ubuntu Netbook Remix with sickboy kernel, BIOS version 3109.

meng, Jan 4, 2009
  11. jfanghanel

Slack

Happened again to the wife's AAO.

Been in standby awhile. Device Manager and Network connections still show the adapter as present. and the LED in front of the keyboard is on. Yet no data via Firefox.

I 'repair' the connection via Network Connections. And get a message essentially stating that the device is gone, and I should re-insert it.

I power down, not a re-start, and upon reboot all is well. Annoying? Yes

Slack, Jan 6, 2009
  12. jfanghanel

jerryt

Have you done the following three things?

1) Updated BIOS to 3305
    2) Updated Atheros drivers to 7.6.1.149
    3) In device manager for the Atheros, set power mode to "Off".

These are the fixes for disconnecting Atheros adapter.

jerryt, Jan 6, 2009
  13. jfanghanel

amigo-2k

I've got the same issue. Tonight was the first night the wife used the laptop for about 3 hours and the wifi stop. A Reset didn't fix it, but a shutdown did. I searched google and found this post. I was able to update the Atheros drivers to 7.6.0 (it didn't find any newer ones). And I tried to update the bios to 3305, but I guess I'm clueless. I moved the files from acers site to a thumb drive, did the start f2, change boot to usb hdd, saved changes, restarted, but then I was never prompted to run the 3305.bat file, all is see is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner?

Can someone write the dummies version for updating bios?

amigo-2k, Jan 10, 2009
  14. jfanghanel

jerryt

How to flash the Bios...
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

Where to download the 7.6.1.149 drivers...
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWOR ... 1149.shtml

jerryt, Jan 10, 2009
  15. jfanghanel

amigo-2k

amigo-2k, Jan 11, 2009
  16. jfanghanel

sammolenaar

I personally still have these problems. After a variable amount of time (in the order of hours) the wireless connection becomes "limited" and the wifi led is steady orange (not blinking on network activity). Sometimes the adapter disappears in the device managers. In some cases switching it off and on with the hardware switch at the right front solves the problem (only in rare occassions) but most of the time the hardware switch doesn't has any effect (it won't even cause the LED to go off). In that case suspending the netbook in S3 (power led blinking orange) sometimes solves the case but very often the netbook, for some reason, won't go into S3 any longer and a full restart is then the only way to fix it.

I'm using:
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (all updates installed)
    Atheros AR5007EG v7.6.1.194 (microsoft hardware compatibility publisher)
    BIOS v.3308

I already tried the XP drivers from Acer (they don't solve the problem). Also adjusted the energy saving settings for the adapter but that doesn't help either.

Do you guys have any ideas? They're sure welcome!

Thanks in advance

sammolenaar, Jan 18, 2009
  17. jfanghanel

jerryt

Change the WiFi card out for a different brand, like the intel 4965agn.

jerryt, Jan 18, 2009
  18. jfanghanel

Deagon

I have had the same problem with my AAO-A110L a few months ago. This may or may not help, but what worked for me was to reinstall the wireless lan drivers and select the option "Driver Only" I found that on my netbook, the wlan would mysteriously stop working. I figured out that the route of (my) issue was the wlan client that comes with the driver. Try installing the driver only (option available in the setup.exe which is found in WLAN_Atheros_v7.6.1.149.zip) I hope this idea helps Hopefully a future update from atheros will fix this, because windows default wlan utility really sucks.

Deagon, Jan 18, 2009
  19. jfanghanel

allan1954

hi my 4 day old acer aspire one has the same problem but only when on battery power on mains it is ok

allan1954, Jan 18, 2009
  20. jfanghanel

sammolenaar

I don't particularly like the idea of spending money on an extra wlan adapter while there is one already installed which should do its work! In addition to my previous post I now have observed that while working on battery power everything goes well. But as soon I start recharging the netbook the internet connection becomes unstable, doing the things as described in my previous post.

sammolenaar, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question