Atheros card won't connect to Netgear router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seatzie, May 7, 2009.

1. seatzie

seatzie

Bit of a strange one this, my mate bought an AAO 150 recently, so I went up to convert it to XP for him, however before I did it I thought I'd check it was working fine with Linpus first. The wi-fi will see 7 networks in his street, including his own, but when we go to connect to it and enter the correct password it just hangs and hangs. So..........I had my own AOO 150 with me so I thought I'll try it, its running XP, and the same thing happened, it stalls at acquiring network address in xp and then shows as connected with limited or no connectivity

I updated the XP drivers to 7.7 something but googling seems to show a problem with the atheros card and this router on other laptops as well, the router is a Netgear dg834g possibly supplied by Sky with their broadband - he has his own Compaq laptop and an xbox already connected wirelessly to it. We did also try and connect an iphone to it but didn't get far with it either..........

Anybody any ideas?

seatzie, May 7, 2009
  2. seatzie

ronime

I have the same setup (A150 + DG834Gv4). No problems here.

I would recommend either the drivers from the Acer support site or the v7.6.1.221 drivers (the latter will work with XP, Vista and Windows 7).

The problems that you describe are symptomatic of an Access List issue.

In the Wireless Security settings on the DG834G make sure that either the access list is disabled or the MAC address of the Aspire One is included in the access list.

Also make sure that the DG834G has the latest firmware installed.

Good luck!

ronime, May 7, 2009
  3. seatzie

seatzie

Thanks, I'll give it a go the next time I'm in his house

seatzie, May 7, 2009
  4. seatzie

Alexander_5

Hello!

I have a similar problem with the Atheros card my laptop is Acer Aspire One ZG5, is a windows xp. When I try to connect to a network the network said limited or no connectivity.

I buy a router and the network appear in my laptop but said the same thing Limited or no Connectivity, I don't no why?

If someone knows what's wrong with it, can tell me what I have to do?...Please!!!

Alexander_5, May 11, 2009
  5. seatzie

Tuppe

Hi

Have been having the same problem but only since upgrading the router firmware to 1.02.19.

Downgraded to 1.02.14 earlier tonight and OK so far, fingers crossed!

May be worth checking the firmware version on the router status page.

Good luck

T

Tuppe, May 11, 2009
  6. seatzie

Rich in ILM

I, also, found this to be a problem with a Netgear Router when it was running WPA security. Since this was basically a public accesss router at the clubhouse I reset the router to WEP security. Acer one doesn't seem to be the only PC to have problems with the Netgear router. As I had other members complain.
    The specific Netgear router in this case is WPN824.

Rich in ILM, May 11, 2009
  7. seatzie

seatzie

well mine turned out to be an easy fix after 3 hours wasted last week, went up to my mates house last night and rather than trust what he
    said about the wep key I logged in directly to the router myself and he was telling me the wrong wep key grrrrrrr!!! so as soon as I saw what it was
    my xp AAO logged in straight away, the linpus one still wouldn't so I scrapped it and installed xp and all is fine with it...............

........except the battery light is now constantly flashing red and won't charge lol!! but I'll post that on another board in here lol

seatzie, May 12, 2009
  8. seatzie

ronime

I did some more research/experimentation the other day in an attempt to get Windows 7 to connect with its own built-in Atheros drivers (both the original driver shipped with RC1 build 7100 and the updated driver obtained via Windows Update).

First of all I upgraded the DG834Gv4 firmware to the latest version. Still didn't connect.
    Then I tried all the variations of WPA,WPA2, TKIP, AES encryption. Still didn't connect.
    Then I disabled wireless encryption completely. Still didn't connect.
    Then I disabled the access list. Still didn't connect.
    Finally, I reinstalled the v7.6.1.221 AR5007EG driver in Windows 7 and reenabled the access list and WPA/WPA2 encryption. The AA1 connected straight away.

ronime, May 12, 2009
Ask a Question