ath5k Wireless Driver not sticking

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Obsidian, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Obsidian

Obsidian

I followed these instructions, running "sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid" and then rebooted and the wireless works perfect.

But after another reboot, the wireless doesn't work anymore and I have to go into System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, hit deactivate and then hit activate for the wireless to work again. This happens after every reboot, so I'm wondering if there's any way to make the settings stick so I don't have to keep deactivating and reactivating the driver.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11, BTW.

Thanks.

Obsidian, Feb 6, 2009
  2. Obsidian

skrogmann

Hello,

i would try to install the driver again after the following installation guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne or to install a snapshot of the madwifi driver. My experience is, that the madwifi driver is a little bit more stable.

Best regards
    s.

skrogmann, Feb 7, 2009
  3. Obsidian

Andysan

Hi,

Open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    A file will open - these are the modules we load at bootime that might not normally be loaded - create a new line at the end with the following:

Code:
    ath5k
    Save and close Now run the following:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Add a line at the end as follows:

Code:
    blacklist ath_pci
    Save and close. Here we blacklist the modules that we specifically don't want to load. Reboot and all should be well.

Hit me up if confused or it doesnt work.

Andysan, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question