At Wits End - To buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by flamingswrd, Oct 10, 2008.

1. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

I have done a lot of research (browsing forums, trying Ubuntu, etc) about linux and the AAO and have had my sights set on one for quite some time now. Since they have started "upgrading" them with the 6-cell, Winxp versions, I cannot find one in a store to "play with." This was the last and final step in my research, since experience works much better than research. Now that I cant find one, I don't know what to do. Can anyone set me in the right direction? :|
    Keep in mind the following:
    1) I am a college student, so the SSD is a must since it will accompany my textbooks.
    2) Linux or XP, I really don't care which.
    3) Battery life should be reasonable (~3 hrs is good), since I have some opportunities to charge during the day.

*Note: Unless something changes in the next 24 hrs, all the stores in Northern Illinois do not stock the things in store...unless I want to take a field trip to the suburbs of Chicago, which I don't.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

flamingswrd, Oct 10, 2008
  2. flamingswrd

Tavel

I've used both for extended periods and I can say the WinXP with HDD is by FAR the superior choice. Linpus is fine if you're looking for a new hobby, but it's terrible if you actually want to get some work done. You'll run into endless issues with networking and software compatibility. Another probable deal killer is that Linpus doesn't support VPN's, which is probably how you connect to your University internet connection, right? The SSD is SUPER DOOPER slow, Windows won't run on it (at all) and even Ubuntu runs poorly. (It's faster to run from a USB Flash drive, how sad). You don't really need it anyway, 1.5" drives are pretty tough because of the platter's low rotational inertia.

Everyone's sold out in the western suburbs too, except micro center in Westmont which only stocks the WinXP with 3cell battery. You might want to give Fry's in Downer's Grove a call, it's right on 355 and really easy to find.

I live in Carol Stream and I commute to NIU; I totally feel you on this.

Tavel, Oct 10, 2008
  3. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Well if the HDD is actually that strong, I could deal with it, but I can't exactly go on opinion...anyone actually know how much abuse a HDD can take? Any data would be nice, seeing as I can assume smaller ones are slightly better engineered (I hope at least).

flamingswrd, Oct 11, 2008
  4. flamingswrd

Dartsani

If your not going give a s%¤t how you handle your computer then that SSD is not going to last any longer. There is actually other parts in that machine which dont like free falls either :idea:

Dartsani, Oct 11, 2008
  5. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Well I never said I was going to abuse it. It's just to my knowledge that the HDD is the most susceptible to damage because of motion-based shock. Believe me, I have never abused any of my technology, but accidents happen unfortunately.

flamingswrd, Oct 12, 2008
  6. flamingswrd

jej514

For what it's worth, I've been on the fence between a Dell Mini and an AA1 (largely due to the hdd as well).

CDW.com has the white 6-cells in stock; mine shipped within 18 hours of placing the order. (I also spend the extra 4 bucks for 2nd day shipping, and am glad I did as it came from CA.) And they have a 30-day return policy, in case you aren't satisfied. (Check on that for yourself though; don't take my word on it or forgo getting details.)

The AA1 is a nice unit. The 6-cell battery does add some heft, but close to 6 hours of battery life is amazing to have. They keyboard is nice too...so far everything has been where my fingers expected it.

All that said, the no-moving-pieces of the Mini 9 with an SSD and no fan is still tempting...

jej514, Oct 12, 2008
  7. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

I was considering the Dell too...but that was until they screwed me over on a previous laptop I had gotten from them before...they said $129 for a repair charge and charged us over $500 instead, with no conformation phone call. Customer Service from Dell has gotten very bad (at least in my experience) so I forgo buying anything I don't have to from them. Don't get me wrong it is tempting...

8. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Are you sure this applies to all the electronics? I checked Newegg for the AA1 and they don't allow the return of laptops unless they are defective. I'll update when I double check this myself...

9. flamingswrd

Tamrac

The mini 9 is pricier than the AAO. I think the base configuration, from what I've read does not include a webcam.

Tamrac, Oct 12, 2008
  10. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Pricier, yes. Equipped with SSD and a fully working version of Ubuntu (Netbook Remix I believe), yes. Webcam...optional...I think.

11. flamingswrd

jej514

On the return policy at CDW, I e-mailed and stated I was interested in an AA1, but was concerned about being satisfied with it since it is so different, and asked what their return policy was. I was told they have a 30 day window for returning it if I wasn't satisfied.

It's a moot point now, though. A buddy of mine really liked it and is going to pay me what I paid CDW for it, and I'm keeping the Dell Mini 9 that is still on order. The AA1 is a great machine, but I really like the silence of no spinning disk or fan, and so am going with the Dell. I'm pretty sure there are parts of the AA1 I'll like more (the keyboard, 6-cell battery life, storage space), but am willing to forgo those for no moving parts. Weird, I know, but the beauty of choice!

Jeff

PS I'm am also really not a fan of Dell's at this point, but their computer has the exact combination I'm looking for right now. I almost wrote them off completely, but decided it wasn't worth cutting off my nose to spite my face. It still speaks very poorly of the company that I'm coming kicking and screaming to do business with them.

jej514, Oct 14, 2008
  12. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

Pretty much where I am at right now...A netbook that works and is relatively strong (in terms of HDD) is what I need for college right now since my regular laptop is such a power hog...but what do you expect from a gaming laptop?

flamingswrd, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question