At the breaking point... am I missing a step?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Wivell, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Wivell

Wivell

I've been trying to get OSX installed on my Aspire One now for the last few days, and I'm just about to pull my hair out. I've downloaded iAtkos, Kalyway, and the MSIWindosx86.iso in an attempt to get at least one of them working, but so far nothing is happening. I've followed all the tutorials here, but as far as I get is getting the machine to look at my usb flash drive instead of the internal hard disk. Then a cursor starts blinking, and that's the end of it.

So I'm lost... is it because I'm trying to use a flash drive instead of an external dvd drive? Any help would be much appreciated.

Wivell, Aug 27, 2008
  2. Wivell

jpone7

Well i have my AAO 120GB XP with OSX 10.5.4 and i used the Kalyway distro...what steps are you taking? cause mine works with perfection. all i need is my Dell DW 1390 to come and then it would be comeplete (Wifi is the only thing missing)

jpone7, Aug 27, 2008
  3. Wivell

Wivell

For Kalyway, I used Paul's walkthrough here: http://www.modaco.com/content/asus-eee- ... vent-4211/

For iATKOS, I used the "iATKOS v4i Install and Issues" thread here.

For the MSIWindosx86.iso, I used the "My 10.5.4 Install Progress" thread here.

I keep running into the same problem. I get my flash drive set up *presumably* correctly, but then when I reboot the AAO and tell it to boot from the drive, I simply get a blinking cursor and it never moves beyond that. To my understanding, there should be scrolling text of some kind and then the installer will start up.

With the iATKOS version, if I've used OSX86Tools to do the "Install EFI/Run Fdisk" for Chameleon, then the computer will freeze on bootup at the screen asking me to hit F2 or F12 for options and such.

And that's where I'm at. Thanks for any help.

Wivell, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Wivell

Drillbit

I would get an external DVD and then you can be sure. Many people in here have had near perfect success with different versions. I have everything working only sleep. All I did is use the MSIWind version and found me some drivers for sound. It's a million times easier.

Drillbit, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Wivell

pseudomasochist

It certainly sounds like an issue with booting from a flash drive instead of a DVD. I've never tried it, but I know there are steps that need to be taken above and beyond just burning the ISO file to the flash drive. And some flash drives are more easily made bootable than others.

I'd recommend taking a look around here: http://bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm and see if there's anything special that you need to be doing to get you flash drive booting properly. I don't think that it's an osx86 issue. Although to be sure, you could always try installing a different operating system from your flash drive and seeing if that works.

pseudomasochist, Aug 27, 2008
  6. Wivell

vzmr82

I agree with you, this is what it looks like. You should be looking at both these threads, they clearly define what to do in these cases:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1388&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

vzmr82, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Wivell

jpone7

well i used an external dvd drive (find a store where you can buy it and return it after wards if you dont plan on keeping it, thats what i did :D ) and i didnt have any problems. plus i used paul's guide aswell

jpone7, Aug 28, 2008
  8. Wivell

Wivell

Then it looks like I'm off to the store tomorrow for an external drive!

I guess I underestimated how many were out there with external dvd drives that I figured most of the people doing this were using flash drives. Thank you so much for the help gang!

And to vzmr82:
    I was actually working from both of those guides, but I was still having trouble. Ah well. I'm sure it will all be righted tomorrow.

Wivell, Aug 28, 2008
  9. Wivell

SbM

I have no DVD drive, I'm using an external USB hard drive.

People : all those who say they have everything working fine, could you please tell us how you got audio-in and the card readers working?

Also, did you manage to get SpeedStep working in any other release than iATKOS?

What about sleep/wake? I guess it doesn't work, but who knows...

SbM, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question