Asus Vivobook Model Numbers Nomencalture

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by boilerup73, Aug 26, 2020.

1. boilerup73

boilerup73

Can someone tell me why Asus appears to assign more than one model number to their notebooks? For example, my Asus Vivobook model number appears as X510UA under Window 10 system whereas the model number displayed on the bottom of my laptop is F510UA. Needless to say, this is very confusing especially when looking to update BIOS firmware and drivers. Why does Asus make something so simple as a model number confusing? FWIW, my daughter's Asus Vivobook is similar whereby there appear to be two model numbers, namely F540MA and X540UA. Figure ?

boilerup73, Aug 26, 2020
  2. boilerup73

ADP IT Solutions

Hi boilerup73,

This is normal. When you bought the laptop you were presented with this Asus Vivobook 15 X510UA at the store of online. This is known as that Product Line or you can call it the Common Name of the laptop.

Lets examine this:
    Asus - Brand/Make
    Vivobook - Family of laptop
    15 - Generic for describing the screensize
    X510UA - Model Number

On the bottom of the laptop you are looking at the Part Number and the Serial Number, these are used by manufacturers, suppliers and parts companies because they have catalogued there parts database according to the part number or serial number which is an industry standard.

Here is a way that you can find your serial number using Windows 10 without having to turn the laptop over:
    1. Left-click on Windows Start Menu icon (bottom left corner)
    2. Type cmd
    3. Left-click on Command Prompt App
    4. Type wmic bios get serialnumber
    5. If you want to write it down please do, once you are finished type exit to close CMD.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.
    ADP

ADP IT Solutions, Sep 12, 2020
Ask a Question