Asus ROG

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Fuzyon, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

I've heard a lot of good things about Asus's ROG series, I was on the verge of buying one but the weight of the laptop put me off. How is a ROG laptop in terms of battery life, cooling and performance? Are you having trouble with portability?

Fuzyon, Jul 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Fuzyon

IBMPC8088

I have an ROG and it's more of a desktop replacement than anything else. I use it when I want something that can sit on my lap and be up close and personal with all the power and performance of the desktop, and maybe something I can carry a short distance to the next few rooms or to the coffee shop only once in a while.

It isn't meant to be a portable system honestly, but just a reallly powerful system in a relatively smaller factor than what you would have with a desktop. Since carrying around a desktop is a little more difficult, it's the next best thing. ;) Overheating is always something to be aware of. The ventilation on this one is decent and I haven't had any issues with it yet, but if you overclock it you can run into that issue pretty frequently. Staying in a dusty environment or not cleaning the fans or trying to use it outside in the summer heat is going to make it super hot very quickly too, and is not advised.

Battery life is good usually. You can extend it further by underclocking the CPU speed when you don't need it at full power, or just by setting the right balance between performance and economy with what you want to do with the system.

If you're trying to use it in performance mode, like any other laptop it is going to use things at their maximum levels and wear down the battery more quickly. Fortunately, you can always replace the battery it comes with with one that has more cells to last you an hour or two longer than usual. Most laptops have that option, too.

It's all about the performance and durability when you go with any desktop replacement series model, whether it's an Asus ROG, an Alienware 17R3, a Dell M series laptop, or any other bulky but impressive system you go with.

IBMPC8088, Jul 25, 2016
Ask a Question