Aspire wont charge - Makes small "crackling" noise...

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Kitt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Kitt

Kitt

I had unfortunately completely cracked and broken the screen on my Acer Aspire One about a month ago. I looked around online, and found a replacement screen for it (cheaper than getting it "fixed" by Acer for the price of a brand new model -_-). I recently completely took my Acer apart, without too much trouble (I think I might have broken a few of the plastic latches) and got it all back together and everything worked A-OK!

And then, just a few days ago, the battery died, and I tried to charge it back up - but it wouldn't charge! The power light would turn on for a moment, then dim away. If I rotated or jiggled it, I could sometimes get the light to do it again, but it would never hold. Also, while the charger is plugged in, I can hear a small quite "clicking" or "crackling" noise coming from the computer - it sounds a LOT like something sparking. This got me really nervous, so I took the whole thing apart again to see if I could see a loose wire or anything, but nothing looked out of place. It all looked as it should as far as I could tell, and everything was plugged in as it needed to be.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've already pumped 550 dollars into what SHOULD have been a super cheap laptop, and I'm so worried I'll have to throw it all down the drain >.<

Thank you for your help!
    --Kitt

Edit: Something else I JUST noticed. If I have the charger plugged in, and hold down the power button, the clocking noise is MUCH faster. Normally it's about the speed of the second hand on a clock, but with the power button down, it really speeds up. Is there some sort of fuse or something that is going off?

Kitt, Jan 8, 2009
  2. Kitt

DogEater008

check to see if you have short circuited your power button. Usually if you did, it'll make a clicking noise.

At least your LED lit up. I somehow broke my charging component on the motherboard and couldn't get the laptop to charge at all. Used the multimeter to test out and found no current were moving through when had the charger plugged in. I bought a used aspire one on craigslist for 200$ and replaced the motherboard and planning to sell other parts .=P

DogEater008, Jan 13, 2009
  3. Kitt

Kitt

Where exactly would I need to look to see if I had short circuited it? Would this cause the laptop to refuse to charge, if so?

Kitt, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Kitt

naeemsta

I think your Charger is Messed up try buying another charger?

naeemsta, Jan 16, 2009
  5. Kitt

Kitt

This actually was the problem! I contacted acer (and there terrible customer service -_-) and they at first sent out a new battery - didn't fix the problem. then I contacted them again, this time they sent out a new charger - and bam, problem fixed!

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Kitt, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question