Aspire One won't boot from usb cd-rom drive

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alun_sundry, May 14, 2009.

1. alun_sundry

alun_sundry

I eventually tried a couple of other versions of linux via a USB stick, but when i used my .iso Cds of Ubuntu and Linux mint, despite doing the necessary BIOS change or F12 etc the computer just booted-up as normal to Linpus. What's happening there?

I watched part of a DVD from the usb Cd-rom drive so it's all working.

Thanks.

alun_sundry, May 14, 2009
  2. alun_sundry

RockDoctor

Did you burn CD bootable CD images, or did you just copy the .iso file to the CD? The former should boot, the latter will not.

Were you able to create bootable installations of Ubuntu and Mint on your USB stick?

RockDoctor, May 16, 2009
  3. alun_sundry

alun_sundry

Yes, I'm familiar with the making a bootable Cd thing, I've churned through about 30 distros now. I haven't tried botting a Cd again because I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 now and I hadn't been able to find anything out about this. I should try it again - maybe it's a bios thing?

alun_sundry, May 17, 2009
  4. alun_sundry

ramack

I've been installing with a IDE to USB adapter. Pressing F12 should bring up a menu which will allow you to select your USB device. But it sounds like despite you pressing F12, it boots to the hard drive? Maybe your F12 button has failed?

ramack, May 25, 2009
  5. alun_sundry

donec

Sounds like you may have a bad burn since the system is not seeing the OS on the CD. Also just because you can read a DVD does not guarantee it will read CD's.

donec, May 25, 2009
Ask a Question