Aspire One, Ubuntu 8.10, and WPA2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BFP, Jan 29, 2009.

1. BFP

BFP

I just finished installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my Aspire One, and afterwards installed Sickboy's newest kernel according to the instructions on his site. This seems to have left most of the system functional, but I'm still unable to see or connect to my home wireless network. It's a WPA2 Personal setup, and I can't get the One to connect to it whatever I do. I'm not even completely certain that the wireless is working at all, since I can't see any networks visible under Wireless Connections.

Is this a common problem? What should I do?

BFP, Jan 29, 2009
  2. BFP

BFP

Ah, it seems the answer was to remove the power and battery for a minute and then replace them. I'm connected and happy now thanks to some advice I finally found in another thread. Thanks!

BFP, Jan 29, 2009
  3. BFP

herzzreh

I have the same issue. Wifi would suddenly quit, the only way is to shut down and remove the battery.
    Unfortunately, this is not a satisfactory solution.

herzzreh, Jan 31, 2009
  4. BFP

speedwell68

I have had the same problem in 8.04 (Linux4One) and under 8.10 (EasyPeasy). The working solution I have found is to change from 'network-manager-gnome' to a network manager called WiCD. It is a much better piece of software, IMHO. You can install WiCD by adding it's repositories to your Sofware Sources, click the link below...

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

Once you have added the WiCD repository can install it using the synaptic package manager, it will automatically remove the existing network-manager-gnome.

speedwell68, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question