Aspire One or MSI Wind?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by firten888, Nov 10, 2008.

1. firten888

firten888

Hey everyone,

I've been reading these boards for a few days now so I figured I'd sign up! After a few weeks of comparing pretty much every netbook, I've narrowed it down to the Aspire one or the MSI Wind.

Wind pros
    - 10" screen
    - Almost every comparison review I've read gives the edge to the Wind over the One

Wind Cons
    - A little bigger than the One
    - very plain design. Not as nice looking as the One

Aspire one Pros
    - Small and sleek looking system

Aspire one cons
    - The screen is the biggest thing holding me back. I don't like the look of the border around the screen, it makes the system look cheap. It seems as though they could of easily fit a 10" screen here instead of all the border space
    - I don't like how the border around the screen is black no matter what color system you get (white system has a black border)
    - Mouse buttons on the side
    - Fan is loud from what I hear

Any reason I should get the One over the Wind?
    There's not a newer version of the One being released before Christmas is there?

Thanks everyone. The boards are great!

firten888, Nov 10, 2008
  2. firten888

rbil

Does the Wind come with a SSD drive as opposed to a hard drive? If not, that would be one reason it wouldn't interest me.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 10, 2008
  3. firten888

firten888

I plan on getting the 120GB hard drive no matter which one I choose so that wouldn't really effect me.

firten888, Nov 10, 2008
  4. firten888

scottro

I think the Aspire is a bit less expensive. That's always a plus.
    If at all possible, check the keyboards on both, see if one is better for you than the other.

If you're planning on trying various versions of Linux on it, then apparently, the wireless card is more difficult to get working than the Acer's.

Those would be the biggest cons for me. If you're just planning to use Windows, that one isn't an issue.

scottro, Nov 10, 2008
  5. firten888

firten888

Newegg has both right now for the same price $349.00
    I plan on getting either with Windows XP
    I haven't seen either of tem (only in pics and videos) but most reviews say the keyboard is very well done on both

I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Both seem to be great Netbooks.

firten888, Nov 10, 2008
  6. firten888

dale

actually, i didn't encounter the fan being loud (or noisy) if you\re planning for a 120Gb netbook, i suggest it would be which service center is more accessible to you. i didnt meant that both are very fragile. it's just that its a computer, and a computer is not 100 percent efficient... as per mine, its running great from the time i bought it. ( 8 gb AAO running in XP) it runs much faster than the EEE 900 (12GB xp). plus, choose the manufacturer that's much more well known, (Acer for me rather than MSI).

and also, remember INTEL ATOM processor and the mother board...

hope it helps :D

dale, Nov 10, 2008
  7. firten888

Jaik

Another vote for trying out the keyboards, I found the MSI Wind one relatively poor. I wasn't even considering the AAO until I went and played with all the netbooks they had on show at PC World and found the AAO keyboard destroys all the others (except for the HP Mini Note, but that's flawed in too many other ways) for usability.

Jaik, Nov 10, 2008
  8. firten888

goofball

all 3 MSI winds that I tried were horrible for typing on. I guess maybe i'm a violent typist but the screen wobble was horrid. I tried it on a sturdy table (dining room table and office desk) and it was still wobbly in comparison to Asus EEE or AAO. I tried on my lap (since I do use the netbooks that way) and it was way worse, of course. I tried another one at Staples and a local computer store, same deal, the hinges weren't tight enough for my liking.

The keyboard layout is pretty good except for the swap of the fn/ctrl keys on the left side. Unusual but could get used to it.

I agree about the black border, if Acer had put a 10" in there, it would be an amazing little netbook!
    The biggest gripe I have about the touchpad is the size, not so much the weird mouse button config. At least it uses a Synaptics though, the one that MSI switched to from Synaptics lacks any options in comparison.

goofball, Nov 10, 2008
  9. firten888

firten888

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I'm gonna go with the Aspire one. The only question I have is, a newer version isn't planned to be released soon right?

firten888, Nov 10, 2008
  10. firten888

clc4912

I haven't heard any rumors of a new model being released before Christmas. If you looking for cons on the Aspire One, you have probably come to the wrong site. :D

clc4912, Nov 10, 2008
  11. firten888

RockDoctor

Corollary to Murphy's Law as applied to the AA1: A newer, more desirable version of the AA1 will be released shortly after you make your purchase, and it will cost no more than what you paid for your AA1. ;)

RockDoctor, Nov 10, 2008
  12. firten888

Chicago_Jake

Well, if they had filled up the lid with a 10" screen, just because there is room, it would have cost more. And the lid is bigger because the base is bigger to accept that nice roomy keyboard.

Mouse buttons on the side seem a bit strange at first, but I just use the quick-tap method instead of the left-click button. It becomes second nature in a hurry.

I have no rationalizations for your other cons. I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice. Good luck!....Jake

Chicago_Jake, Nov 10, 2008
  13. firten888

firten888

Nah, not looking for cons. I'm pretty much set on getting the One, I just want to make sure they don't have any plans on releasing a new one soon.

firten888, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question