Aspire One (Dead after 4 days??)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by edgecrush3r, Aug 18, 2008.

1. edgecrush3r

edgecrush3r

Yeezzz people... I just played with a gOS LiveUSB distro, and after reboot nothing seems to happen anymore :cry:
    Even the BIOS Boot Logo isnt showing anymore and 'no HD' activity from the LEDS (so except the power button everything stays black).

I am really frickn SAD now as this never ever happened to me...going back to the shop tomorrow.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Cheers,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Aug 18, 2008
  2. edgecrush3r

apaige

apaige, Aug 18, 2008
  3. edgecrush3r

IBMPC8088

It doesn't surprise me. There is something very strange about the Acer Aspire hardware.

I have a quad core AMD Acer Aspire E series laptop, and I found that I was not able to run any type of virtualization whatsoever when I got it. They hide the VT-X and acceleration feature activation in the bios to where it is not possible to access.
    ec
    I had to make a special USB stick to boot into a UEFI shell and execute a command that reactivated that menu on the BIOS which made it possible to enable it. I wrote to Acer to ask them why they did this, and their "official" answer on it is that they "did not trust the user to enable and handle such features, and that it would only be possible to enable by advanced users and technicians". How nice of them. Granted, there were a few extra menus and screens that enabled setting core temperature and voltage of the CPU that would be dangerous or could damage the system to where it wouldn't be used anymore if someone put the wrong values...but the virtual machine acceleration option is not something that could ever put the user at risk, and should not have been hidden period.

So even after enabling that, I found that it's not a permanent setting (as long as the CMOS battery lasts, it will stay. But if the battery goes out or I have to reset it that way, I'll have to do it over again). That's not what got me the most, though.

Now that I can run virtual machines, guess what I can't use with them? USB support. I can use USB devices "to a degree", but the hardware freaks out and the host USB root hub will not let me use it in a VM. If I persist and push it to anyway, it continues to work for a while...and then stops responding to SMBUS requests altogether on both the virtual system and the host system. Maybe there's a flaw in the hardware that they didn't want people to know about when they pushed these Acer models out for production before it was corrected?

It would seem that either it is accessing USB devices and passing data in a way that is not standard, or worse...there is a serious issue with some types of USB access that can brick it (which may be why they decided to hide extended features tied to certain parts of the board in the BIOS).

I hope your system was still under warranty and that you can get a replacement motherboard for it. I have been able to boot from USB and use live USB devices...but...I didn't do this before I reconfigured the BIOS to be able to support 64 bit emulation and a few other features first.

The issue mentioned on that forum link btw...I had that when I first got the Acer. When I changed the hard drive and ram out on it, it was temporarily bricked until I removed the battery and charger for several hours. I plugged the charger in first (without the battery) to test it and it was ok. Put the battery in after that (removing charger first), turned it on from battery, and then plugged in the charger and it stayed ok after that. Really strange hardware...

IBMPC8088, Feb 1, 2016
Ask a Question