Aspire One dead after 3 weeks.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Toma, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Toma

JohnBigBoots

Sadly, I'm on my 4th AOA 150. Yes, that's right, my FOURTH AOA 150. The first one had some dead pixels, and the other two died after approximately 2-3 weeks respectively. Luckily, Micro Center has been very accommodating and replaced them all without any hassles. This time around I flashed the bios to 3304 before setting everything up and I've noticed a couple of new things. First, it seems to run a bit hotter (about 5-10 degrees celsius) than the old bios. Also, it seems to be a bit peppier than the other machines. Can the bios make that much difference in performance? Or, are they slipstreaming some hardware updates into the product line? Or, possibly it's all my imagination. :? In any case, I love the AOA 150, but wish I didn't have to get a new one every few weeks. Thank goodness for backups!

JohnBigBoots, Sep 27, 2008
  2. Toma

mvidberg

My A0A150-1249 suddenly died about 4 weeks after much use with no problems. Now the screen just turns white immediately upon power-up and stays white. I have opened a support ticket with Acer but I'm sure I'll end up having to send it back in for repair/replacement.

mvidberg, Sep 28, 2008
  3. Toma

DHowett

My One stopped turning on at one point, completely. No lights, couldn't reflash the BIOS.
    So I took it apart and removed the CMOS battery and powered it up PERFECTLY. Reinstall the battery and we're good to go.
    Hope this helps!

DHowett, Sep 28, 2008
  4. Toma

RockDoctor

It might have had I not already returned mine for a replacement. I'll keep this in mind for when the warranty has expired.

RockDoctor, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Toma

keirmeister

It's amazing how a system failure turns a lurker into a poster.

My AA1 died today in the weirdest way. I think it went into hybernation mode, and when I started it back up, everything was fine. Then I shut down. Realizing I forgot something, I immediately turned the AA1 back on.

Nuthin'.

I was at work, so I was a bit annoyed/scared...thinking the MB blew or something. I checked out these forums when I returned to my office, I felt better thinking the BIOS update method might do the trick. It seemed to make sense since this happened right after a hibernation.

So I got home, updated the BIOS, and viola! The AA1 returned to life.

One problem: Certain keys no longer worked. I discovered this trying to log into Windows. Of course, I couldn't get into the BIOS since I also have a BIOS password that requires some of the non-responsive keys.

Well, I've only had the AA1 for a little over a month, but it was time to bust the disassembly cherry. It's always a little scary with a new machine.

Anyway, I reseated the keyboard cable and now everything works...which is good, 'cause I DEFINITELY didn't want to send it in for repair. I need this machine in early November!

But seriously, thank you AA1 User Forum folks for the help. I was in PO'd freak-out mode for a little while there!

- Keirmeister

keirmeister, Oct 2, 2008
  6. Toma

ipearl

150 is the HDD version ???

ipearl, Oct 2, 2008
  7. Toma

nilocnedlog

I'm on my second AOA 150 - Bb in 4 weeks.

Both machines have had the same catastrophic failure. They simply won't switch on!
    I get the LED on the power button, and the 'Num Lock' & 'CAPS Lock' LEDs flash when the power buton is pressed. That's it.. a netbook that lights up LEDs and nothing else... not much use :cry:

I'm not sure if I should perceiver with Acer... or move over to the ASUS machine instead.

nilocnedlog, Oct 5, 2008
  8. Toma

ipearl

Flash it ,...
    So urs was 150 ??? Is that the HDD Version ?

ipearl, Oct 5, 2008
  9. Toma

abatrour

Hey guys. I just found this site. My AA1 150 is dead also. black screen but fan powers up and the lights blink once. :(

abatrour, Oct 6, 2008
  10. Toma

nilocnedlog

Thanks 'ipearl'... I was reluctant to flash it as it's only 2 weeks old, but bit the bullet and did it anyway, it's now back and fuly working :D . I also then upgraded to 3304 from 3114. I hope this is more stable.

By the way 'ipearl' the disk is a Seagate Momentus 5400.4 ST9120817AS 120 GB.
    I'm running XP Pro rather than Home. Just slipstreamed an XP Pro Install disk with SP3 and the upgrade went like clockwork. I do intend trying to dual boot to SuSe, but will have to research the Wi-Fi first. Thanks for pushing me into the flashing... it has saved so much hastle :)

nilocnedlog, Oct 6, 2008
  11. Toma

crcornelison

crcornelison, Oct 7, 2008
  12. Toma

mvidberg

I tried doing the bios fix and it seemed to go OK but my system still didn't work. I shipped it to Acer and am waiting to get it back (been about 2 weeks now).

mvidberg, Oct 16, 2008
  13. Toma

maximilliangc

Picked up my blue Acer one (XP 120g) on September 19th.
    It failed to start up today October 19th.
    Black screen, can hear the fan, power green LED is on, everything else
    apparently dead.

No modifications. Am running a 8gig SD card in the right side slot, and use an
    external LED mouse pointing device.

Manufactured date 08-08.
    last serial digits, A802535.

Purchased a second unit at the sametime as a birthday gift for my daughter next
    month, it sits in a closet unpacked.
    Will I have the same problem ?

Am returning my unit to the local Acer factory service depot Monday.
    This seems to be an epidemic problem, see related threads.

Have a colligue who has been running an Asus XP and another
    with the Wee, trouble free for some months.

Comments and Replies appreciated.
    M

maximilliangc, Oct 19, 2008
  14. Toma

mvidberg

I got my Aspire One back last friday and it is working fine again. On the repair slip it said that both the motherboard and LCD were replaced.

mvidberg, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question