Aspire One dead after 3 weeks.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Toma, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Toma

Toma

Well, after 3 weeks of joy, everything has turned to crap. My AA1 wont turn on, and I cant flash the bios or do anything to recover it. With power plugged in/out, battery in/off, usb drive in/out, it just wont turn on. All the lights turn on but then turn off about 2 seconds. Screen doesnt come on, BIOS screen doesnt show. Its well and truely dead. I have a courier coming to pick it up in a couple days then its off to get 'serviced'. I was told theyre going to try to save all my data, but I doubt itll happen. The other crappy thing, is the amount of time itll take to get fixed. 2 days courier, 5-10 days in the shop, then another 2 days courier. These are all business days too, so Im looking at a 3 week return. This totally sucks.

Toma, Sep 7, 2008
  2. Toma

Guest Guest

Man this really sucks, what is the exact model that you have? I have the AOA150-1570, which today ive had it only 2 weeks, and so far no problems.

Guest, Sep 7, 2008
  3. Toma

Toma

AOA110-Ab

I guess itll be nice to start over. Sucks to lose all my documents tho.

Toma, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Toma

ipearl

is that the US 120GB HD version ???

ipearl, Sep 7, 2008
  5. Toma

Aceruser4711

Hello all,

My AA1-150L was dead in only one week !
    The same signs as Thoma write above !
    For the first days I was testing Linux, but my plan was to get WinXP on to this machine.
    With an external USB - DVD drive and an nlite XP (including SP3 and three Aspire drivers) the switching to WinXP was easy at first. And its going fast - about half an hour later (after formatting the HD) the XP was running fine ! The I loaded some software on the Aspire (about 7GBs incl. the WinXP). All looks fine after this. I switched the Apire many times off and on and was very satisfied with its performance and shut it down. Then after 3 or so hours I come back and want test the Aspire further, but the screen could not turn on !. I could only hear the fan running (slow and fast in succession). No BIOS, no external drive could start it again..
    It looks like the mainboard suffered a deadly strike and only a exchange with a new Aspire One could solve it. I will take the Aspire tomorrow to the shop for further investigation and possible exchange.
    It could be of interest if the Atom processors (and boards) have quality problems, because Intel was under pressure to deliver the parts ?

Robert
    Austria

Aceruser4711, Sep 7, 2008
  6. Toma

admin_one

may I suggest backing up data to some other storage media?

I recently had to rescue data from both my grown son's laptops because they don't keep backups... it's a lesson to learn from.

Regards,

admin_one, Sep 7, 2008
  7. Toma

daldred

Have you tried a BIOS reflash (see this post and the related thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60#p11089) ? Many people seem to have found that this restores their AAO to life....

daldred, Sep 7, 2008
  8. Toma

Toma

Cant. Device wont turn on and hence, cant copy anything. On a further note, I bought a 500GB external drive for backup purposes, and after 1 week, it died. Which means everything I 'moved' to the drive was dead. I know, I should have 'copied' all the data, but I got the drive as an expansion so I could keep all my old junk on. Fun times.

8GB SSD from AU.

Toma, Sep 7, 2008
  9. Toma

wimpie

so did mine exactly the same and i recoverd it by bios recovery
    MENTIOND BEFORE : Dead aspire one: IT LIVES AGAIN!!!
    your almost all capable to realive your one
    For those with almost always a BIOS problem, this may be useful.
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

after recovering the bios i DISABLED the sleeping mode and its now only capable to goto standby or off

wimpie, Sep 8, 2008
  10. Toma

Toma

Well, its been a week and they still havent sent the freaking courier to pickup my laptop. This is turning out to be a god damn nightmare. Im going to call warranty hotline again tomorrow and hassle them some more. This is a very very poor show Acer.

Toma, Sep 10, 2008
  11. Toma

...BeAkEr...

mine lasted less than two weeks

...BeAkEr..., Sep 10, 2008
  12. Toma

ipearl

Do a Blind Flash like the other guy said.

ipearl, Sep 10, 2008
  13. Toma

Toma

1. It voids the warranty.

2. I dont have the same symptoms.

Toma, Sep 10, 2008
  14. Toma

Toma

This is fantastic. 1 week after I was told theyll get it ready to send off in 2 days, theyre telling me it'll be another 2 days. That is, 2 working days. So wont even hear about anything for another 4 days because of the weekend. Ill be logging this all in public view so everyone can see what a freaking rip-off this "warranty" is. If this takes way too long, Im going to go to the ACCC http://www.australia.gov.au/Consumer_Protection and make a formal complaint. It is a clear misrepresentation of their warranty. This is utterly ridiculous. I was recommending the laptop to my students, but now, Im going to tell them to stay well away from it. :evil:

UPDATE: Customer Support at Good Guys has called on my behalf and the courier ended up calling me within 5 mins. Kudos to Good Guys. Additionally, they managed to give me an extra 3 months warranty for their shoddy service. So heres hoping the service doesnt take 3 months now. :|

Toma, Sep 11, 2008
  15. Toma

poneis

i'm starting to get worried with all those reports of dead aspire ones. I got my aao for already 1 month and so far the lan port died (windows always tell that the cable in unplugged)

I'm afraid to upgrade the ram too afeter i heard numerous reports os dying aao after memory upgrade

poneis, Sep 11, 2008
  16. Toma

the_raptor

Remember people who aren't interested in upgrading software/hardware, or who don't have problems, are not posting on this board. So their is far higher percentage of people here with problems then in the entire AA1 user population.

And if your LAN port is dead and a reinstall of the LAN drivers doesn't work, then RMA it.

the_raptor, Sep 11, 2008
  17. Toma

ipearl

=D I was never able to keep my warranty.
    I always end up taking it apart the first 15min i unpack it.
    But i never ran into dead items ever :mrgreen: knock on wood.

Loving my Acer One =)

ipearl, Sep 11, 2008
  18. Toma

a44l

Acer one BIOS died last night. Acer said they would fix it if I would send computer back for repairs. Read the forum and tried the BIOS recovery routine as outlined by macles. It worked fine and the One was up and running in a matter of minutes. What is the cause of this problem? I must have turned computers on and off several thousand times over the past ten years and never had a BIOS failure. Any ideas?

a44l, Sep 11, 2008
  19. Toma

ipearl

Rumors has it that it's probably the sleep table for the CPU.
    The new bioses that make the aspire die have a different Sleep state for the atom.
    More energy efficient but also more prone to perma-sleep issues resulting in not being able to turn it back on.

I asume you flashed it with a .3109 or something older than ur original bios rather than the newest Bios.
    Which still runs of the older CPU table not making the Atom go into deep sleep.

That could be one of the issues or they just f up in the power on and off table.

ipearl, Sep 11, 2008
  20. Toma

ipearl

Warranty waste of money IMO.
    From all the devices i own i have used warranty once XBOX 360 with RROD :lol:
    Service took Month :ugeek: So be patience
    2nd time it happend i did the things myself to get rid of RROD :twisted:

ipearl, Sep 11, 2008
Ask a Question