Aspire 5552G 3G/WWAN. Also stereo sound...

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Veesta, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Veesta

Veesta

Here goes,

I have Acer Aspire 5552G laptop and i have "Aspire 5252/5552/5552G Series
    Service Guide" It lists all the FRU's, ordering numbers, replacement instructions, etc..
    But no 3G/GPS card.

I'm looking for 3G card that goes under the "3G module cover"
    An empty slot just like Aspire One 110 Linpus has.

What i read from the service guide, it is supposed to connect to USB port #9 and is an optional accessory.
    I also read it connects to "JP4" whics is not documented under "jumper and connector locations" but only shown in the picture that it should be there.

AFAIK, it is an USB header for the card.

So, any ideas what i could use? (Or something non pci-e from other Acer products)
    There is a half height mini pci-e slot that is already in use with the wlan and i know there are cards for wlan/3G and all. That would probably be the easier solution to just hack something to it, but if my mainboard has dedicated conenctors for 3G card i *will* use that instead.

Already found the header for bluetooth is present and looking through ebay for suitable card. (Unless i can find one spare from the spare laptops i have) :D

Also, not so important, but if anyone knows?
    This laptop has mono output for sound. However, reading from the "Aspire 5252/5552/5552G Series
    Service Guide" there should be separate connectors for left AND right channels. :D
    So, is there an "upper assembly" that fits to 5552G bottom part and has stereo speakers?
    I assume i need to replace the LED boards and such to match that version...

Warranty? Screw that... Not interested about it. :)
    Took my AAO for parts after couple days owning it. ;)

Veesta, Dec 6, 2011
Ask a Question