Are You Getting a New Gadget or Device This Year?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IcyBC, Dec 18, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC

Any gadgets or devices on your wish list this year since it is almost Christmas time now? I am all set and have no new gadget or device coming this year. It is the time to give and to get, literally so it is inevitable that we must do the exchange.

I found this part of the Holidays is exhausted, but I am playing along :) Are you expecting to receive a new gadget or device this year?

IcyBC, Dec 18, 2015
  2. IcyBC

maur1c1ox

I won't but I think I'll gift my girlfriend an e-book reader. I need to make up my mind soon. Probably I'll just buy a kindle an a few books for her to enjoy.
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini two months ago, so I'll count that as my christmas gift. Who knows, maybe someone will gift me a gadget.

maur1c1ox, Dec 18, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC

A Kindle is nice if she likes to read, and a gift card for her to get her books is a wonderful idea. I have everything I need but I did ask for a portable storage device for my MacBook. Will see if I am getting what I want, lol..

IcyBC, Dec 20, 2015
  4. IcyBC

typist88

I've been looking into getting a streaming TV device as there are many options now on Amazon. I'm not really sure what is the best option. I'd like to convince my Dad to get something so he can eliminate his cable bill. Does anyone have one of these they recommend? I think the problem is finding good quality live streaming for news and sports.

Other than that, our Christmas budget is $20/person LOL so I'm not anticipating electronics. I'd like to get a new battery for my laptop when I have some extra cash. I kind of want to get a keyboard cover too as mine is full of dust and needs a clean.

typist88, Dec 20, 2015
  5. IcyBC

Sefie

I'd love to get one of those activity trackers you can place on your wrist. I'd love one of those, but I think I'd have such a hard time finding the right one for me. I'd like one that counted calories, and could also let me know more about other activities, like for example walking, swimming, exercising, etc. If it could track my sleep that would be great too.

Sefie, Dec 20, 2015
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC

I cut out my cable last year, and we use Chromecast to stream TV shows, movies, nature, documentaries and such using Netflix and Hulu plus. Although it is not like having regular cable TV, the bill is so much less and affordable. I don't know of other streaming devices but my nephew is using Roku and he likes it.

As for the keyboard cover, you can find one on Amazon for about $13 dollars, which I have in my basket at the moment, and didn't check out yet :)

IcyBC, Dec 21, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  7. IcyBC

typist88

Thanks for this. Ya I figure it's got to be a lot cheaper on the monthly bills which would make it worthwhile. The tricky thing for my Dad and brother is that they both want the live sports and news... so I'll have to look around some more.

Oh awesome, ya I just check on Amazon.ca and am surprised that they have some. I mostly wanted a white one. Ah, I'm so tired of black on black electronics :p. Thanks for the info!

typist88, Dec 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC

I am not much into sports and news, but I have known people who were able to stream live sports and news by going directly onto the websites and hook it up to your television to watch on a bigger screen using the special cable.

You really need to look into this more, because my nephew has no cable and by using the Roku and his Android phone, he said he is missing nothing as far as watching TV.

IcyBC, Dec 22, 2015
    typist88 likes this.
  9. IcyBC

typist88

Ah yeah I know. I'm trying to upgrade my technology and cable is such a waste of money. I read an article just yesterday that said that about 70% of Canadians don't pay or use cable tv anymore thanks to all the other options available. I'll have to suggest the laptop to tv connector chord. I've used it a few time just to watch some free movies online and it worked really well.

typist88, Dec 22, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC

Just to update on this subject, not showing off or anything :) We just moved to a new place on December 10, and my oldest son bought us a new Roku Smart TV. With internet connected, we are able to have many different apps available, from PBS, to History Channel, to CBS, to NBC, etc..There are just too many things to see and to choose from. I can't tell you that you won't have enough time in a day to watch them all..This is another way to go to cut down the cost.

IcyBC, Dec 30, 2015
Ask a Question