Are Netbooks dead? Is this the future?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mali, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mali

mali

2. mali

mehboob

I didnot understand your question actually!

mehboob, Jul 27, 2009
  3. mali

garrovick

I won't buy one that size. Netbooks are ten inches or less, laoptops are eleven inches or larger.

garrovick, Jul 27, 2009
  4. mali

DutchDK

Is that Internet inches or Real World inches you are talking about ? They ain't the same, at least thats what my female single friends keep experiencing. Although I don't know if they were talking about netbooks... :p

DutchDK, Jul 27, 2009
  5. mali

mali

It has got the same chassis like the aspire one 751, so basically it's still a netbook but with much more powerful innards.
    I agree that less size is better, I really like my 8.9".
    Stricly speaking this is no netbook anymore. It doesn't fit into the specifications. But it actually fits quite well in the usage scenario(long battery life, small and light, inexpensive) while adding more punch by getting rid of Atom and GMA950.

A very interesting product IMO. The 13.3"+ cousins of timeline series didn't draw my attention at all, but this one is shockingly attractive to me. 11" is basically a little too large, but the other specs overweight it easily.

mali, Jul 27, 2009
  6. mali

donec

Sounds to me like your "female single friends" are confusing inches with resolution.

donec, Jul 27, 2009
  7. mali

Forone

A lot depends on whether the user has two computers: using one (larger, more powerful) computer for some things and another (smaller, more mobile) for others. That might apply to choosy girlfriends, too, so don't be "cocky".

Forone, Jul 27, 2009
  8. mali

Tamrac

Tamrac, Jul 28, 2009
  9. mali

DutchDK

Most netbooks only have a resolution of 1024x600.. Or where you thinking about something else ?? ;)

DutchDK, Jul 28, 2009
  10. mali

donec

Yes most do but not all and from the idea of real world inches and internet inches there is nothing saying it has to refer to netbooks just real world and internet.

donec, Jul 28, 2009
  11. mali

mali

http://www.slashgear.com/acer-freeze-la ... 0-2850517/
    The plot thickens.
    Someone on Engadget's comments posted a link to a Japanese ION Netbook, that wheigts a hefty 1.9kg and has got a claimed battery life of 3.2 hours.
    Pine Trail will use the old gma950 on die, so performance will stay low (with better battery life, less heat and cheaper, though).
    It seems like single and dual core CULV plus x4500 IGP or dedicated low power ATI GPU will make it.
    The 1810t clearly shows that the platform fits in a netbook sized device and delivers great battery life and good performance while not being that expensive if you look at the much better specs. I've checked some user reviews of the larger timeline models. 6 to 8 hours battery life is standard.

mali, Jul 28, 2009
  12. mali

RocRizzo

It's not so much that they don't sell, because they do.
    The real reason behind this is Microsoft. Because so many people HAVE TO HAVE the bloatware that they make on their netbook (Windoze), Microsoft wants their cut. Many people refuse to use Linux, because there is no marketing behind Linux. Microsloth Operating Systems use way too much in the way of computer resources than any OS should, so their latest versions may not be quite as stable as they could be on a machine with more system resources (CPU + RAM). So Mickeysoft is willing to license XP HOME to the netbook makers for a while, but will not release Winblows 7 to them. The manufacturers don't get the OS that people "want," so they can't sell them, so they stop making them. This is the sorry state of unregulated capitalism. The better product does not win out, unless there is money to market it. A superior OS to Windows does exist, and it's FREE! You all know it as Linux. You put most distros on one of these little babies and it runs circles around any Windoze box of the same caliper. So everyone loses but Ballmer and company. The companies don't get these little products out, with a smaller environmental footprint. People don't get the future of small, powerful computers. Linux does not get its proper place in the market as a superior operating system. But Ballmer gets richer.

This is my not so humble opinion, but you get my point.

RocRizzo, Aug 7, 2009
  13. mali

mali

There will be cheap Win7 starter edition licenses for netbooks up to 10", so MS isn't really involved that much.
    I think the real reason for this is, that Acer thinks these netbook-notebook thingies will sell like hot cakes, and I think they are right :)

I've collected some hands-on links of 1810t. If you are interested just paste the link in translate.google.com and select your language.

(Chinese) http://benyouhui.it168.com/thread-983247-1-1.html
    (Chinese)(1410t is the same except weaker CPU) http://benyouhui.it168.com/thread-980616-1-1.html
    (Chinese) http://blog.tianya.cn/blogger/post_show ... gID=338810
    (Chinese) http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=232&t=1176977
    (Chinese) http://tech.163.com/digi/09/0807/11/5G4 ... 628BV.html
    (Russian) http://itc.ua/node/39896

I hope we can have a sub-forum for 1810t on this board in the future :)

Edit:
    Regarding Linux, there exists a Acer Travelmate 8000 Timeline series that has got a Linpus version preinstalled, so it's very likely that this version will work on the 1810t, because the hardware is very similar.

Regarding performance in games I predict that the 4500MHD in the 1810t will perform similar to(maybe a little less than) the x3100 in full sized notebooks. So expect to be able to play Source games like Half-Life 2 or Counter Strike Source with acceptable performance. Doom 3 will be 15fps or less (my AOA110 got 9.7fps @2GHz 640x480 everything low, (7.4fps @1.6GHz))

mali, Aug 8, 2009
Ask a Question