AOO battery losing charge. Normal?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Pontificator, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

the 3 cell battery on my second AAO appears to be losing about a fourth of its capacity after being shut down (with batttery in place) for approximately 2 weeks. Is this normal?

Pontificator, Dec 5, 2008
  2. Pontificator

ronime

Sounds about right.

The power button is part of an active electronic circuit so there is bound to be some current draw even when the One is switched of. Wake-On-Lan is probably active as well.

AFAIK, all Li-Ion batteries self-discharge to a certain extent, moreso if the ambient temperature is high. Short of leaving your One in a cryogenic chamber when not in use I suspect that this is something we will just have to live with.

ronime, Dec 5, 2008
  3. Pontificator

Pontificator

Thanks for the info.

I did some reading up and yes, it's normal for laptop batteries to discharge at least a little bit over time. Maybe I'll fully charge, then store (with battery "in") my other (my first) AAO for 2 weeks to see if trickle discharge is the same.

Pontificator, Dec 5, 2008
  4. Pontificator

lablond47

I can't figure out how to post an original question. Anyway, where can I go to read info about the battery and why it loses charge when the computer is turned off. I also read to charge the computer three times to full charge (letting it run down low three times). Sorry, I know I don't sound very computer literate. I just don't know the tech stuff. Can use all the help out there. ha

lablond47, Jul 24, 2009
  5. Pontificator

Pontificator

It's been quite some time since someone replied to this thread.

Since starting this thread I"ve done some research and asked some questions to people who know much more about the subject than I do.

In a nutshell, the power drain is the AA1's on/off button and the power trickle is NORMAL and to be expected.

Just keep the thing charged up from time to time if you're not actively using it. You don't want the battery to run down dead and sit there uncharged. You could kill the battery that way.

I don't think these new laptop batteries have the "memory" that batteries a few years ago had.

Pontificator, Jul 25, 2009
Ask a Question