AOA150: Switch to IDE Mode?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by simonbrads, Dec 5, 2011.

1. simonbrads

simonbrads

I have an OCZ Vertex 60 GB. It's currently running firmware 1.6. I'd like to upgrade to 1.7, but the drive needs to be in IDE mode to perform the update.

I believe the default on the AOA150 is AHCI mode. But is there a way to switch to IDE mode? If not, I guess I can't perform the firmware upgrade (without removing the drive from the machine, which I'm not going to do).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

simonbrads, Dec 5, 2011
  2. simonbrads

DutchDK

The AOA150 series could not change from AHCI to IDE mode in the bios. The D150 and onwards series have that option.
    So unfortunately you will need to dissassemble the netbook (see youtube for tutorial videos on how to do that - it really isnt that difficult), and remove the drive over onto another PC with the AHCI/IDE option in the bios, in order to do the firmware upgrade.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Dec 5, 2011
  3. simonbrads

simonbrads

That's what I thought, but thanks for the confirmation. I doubt I'll bother removing the drive just for the firmware update. If I'd known, I'd have checked for an update before I installed the drive a couple of months ago. :)

simonbrads, Dec 5, 2011
Ask a Question